Bernie Jabesq was a Human male who lived during the decades that led up to the establishment of the Galactic Empire. Around 32 BBY, he worked as an engineer at the main hangar of Theed, the capital city of the planet Naboo. That same year, the planet was invaded by the droid armies of the Trade Federation.
Personality and traitsEdit
Jabesq had light skin, brown hair and eyes, and a very short stubble upon his face. While in service, he wore a yellow, double-breasted jumpsuit. Like some of his colleagues, including Simon Jabesq and Iain, Bernie Jabesq had customized his helmet by writing his name in futhork, the informal Naboo script. He also wielded a blaster rifle.
Behind the scenesEdit
Bernie Jabesq was one of the many background characters featured in the 1999 movie Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, the first installment of the prequel trilogy, in which he was portrayed by an unknown extra. A posed promotional picture of the character appeared in Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide—an interactive encyclopedia on CD-ROM released by LucasArts—but his name was not explicitely mentioned.
Despite being a character of very minor importance, the engineer was made into an action figure of the toy line Star Wars: The Saga Collection in 2006. Although it was erroneously labeled as a "Naboo Soldier," the figure had the distinctive markings of Bernie on the helmet.
The character's name long remained unknown, since the transliteration of Naboo futhork had not been revealed. In 2008, the first official mapping of the futhork alphabet appeared in The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, which allowed to decipher the letters on the helmet. This article assumes that inscribed helmets of the Royal Security Forces correspond to their wearers' names, following the example of Simon Jabesq, whose helmet reads "Simon" when using the symbol-to-letter correspondence from The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia. In 2012, the character's full name was first identified as Bernie Jabesq in The Phantom Menace: The Expanded Visual Dictionary.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- (As "Naboo soldier")
- The Phantom Menace: The Expanded Visual Dictionary (First identified as Bernie Jabesq)
- "Rogues Gallery: Naboo's Finest!"—Star Wars Insider 145
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 The Phantom Menace: The Expanded Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Naboo Soldier. Rebelscum.com. Retrieved on December 2, 2012.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Episode I The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 299 ("Futhork")