Bib Fortuna was a male Twi'lek who lived on the desert planet Tatooine. He served as Jabba the Hutt's majordomo and chief of staff for decades, handling all of the day-to-day operations at his master's palace.
A male Twi'lek, Bib Fortuna hailed from Ryloth, the homeworld of his species. He served as a majordomo to the Hutt crime lord Jabba as far back as the time of the Invasion of Naboo, in 32 BBY. That year, Fortuna attended the Boonta Eve Classic, which his master hosted to commemorate the Boonta Eve holiday. From his master's private balcony, he witnessed the victory of a local human boy named Anakin Skywalker against the reigning champion Sebulba.
Galactic Civil WarEdit
Trouble with MercenariesEdit
During the Galactic Civil War between the Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance, the Twi'lek remained in Jabba's service. At some point between the Battle of Yavin and Battle of Hoth, Fortuna contacted the Tatooinian mercenary Saponza and his partner in the name of Jabba. The two men had reacted violently to the presence of Jabba's henchmen around Saponza's homestead, killing six of them. Fortuna let the two mercenaries know they had made an enemy of his Hutt master. Some time later, Jabba's henchmen razed Saponza's estate to the ground in retaliation, and the majordomo contacted Saponza once again to gloat over his misfortune and warn him that Jabba's revenge was not over.
Trouble at the Great Pit of CarkoonEdit
Later in the war, Fortuna greeted two droid visitors to his master's palace. The two mechanical units, called C-3PO and R2-D2, claimed that they had a gift for the Hutt. The majordomo demanded that they hand over that gift to him so he could bring it to Jabba himself, but the droids answered that their instructions were to give it only to the crime lord himself. Fortuna led the droids into the throne room, where they delivered a holographic message from their owner, the Rebel hero and fledging Jedi Luke Skywalker. In the message, Skywalker asked to bargain for the life of his friend Han Solo, whom Jabba detained, offering C-3PO and R2-D2 in exchange.
Fortuna was present when Princess Leia Organa arrived under the disguise of notorious bounty hunter Boushh along with Han Solo's longtime friend Chewbacca, demanding that Solo be released under the threat of a thermal detonator, and also witnessed her capture when she attempted to free Solo herself. When Luke Skywalker eventually arrived, Fortuna admitted him into the throne room, despite having been given explicit instructions not to do so until after Jabba had finished his nap. Fortuna was influenced by Skywalker's mind trick, though he was not as weak-minded as some of Jabba's other guards. Skywalker only succeeded in his mind trick by finding and exploiting Fortuna's weak point, his strong loyalty to his master, Jabba.
After Skywalker killed Jabba's pet Rancor, he was imprisoned and sentenced to death, with Jabba wanting him executed at the Great Pit of Carkoon. Fortuna accompanied Jabba and many of his palace denizens to the pit, though was killed after Skywalker, Organa, Solo, and Lando Calrissian managed to escape custody and destroy Jabba's personal Sail barge.
Behind the scenesEdit
In Return of the Jedi, Bib Fortuna was played by Michael Carter and voiced uncredited by Erik Bauersfeld, who also voiced Admiral Ackbar in the film. For The Phantom Menace, Alan Ruscoe was initially cast to play the character in a scene in the Senate, however, this scene was cut, and he was later portrayed by Matthew Wood for his appearance on Tatooine.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: The Original Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Darth Vader 1: Vader
- Star Wars 4: Skywalker Strikes, Part IV
- Star Wars 34: The Thirteen Crates
- Star Wars: Commander (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Rescue from Jabba's Palace
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi Read-Along Storybook and CD (Appears in illustration only)
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Race on Tatooine"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Gambit on Geonosis" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: I Am a Droid (Picture only)
- Star Wars: I Am a Jedi (Picture only)
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Backstories: Star Wars – Princess Leia: Royal Rebel
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 (Image 10 of 10)
- ↑ Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars: Commander
- ↑ Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!