Binary or droidspeak was the language commonly spoken by droids. It consisted of a set of beeps and whistles strung together into what resembled sentences. The C1-series astromech droid utilized this form of communication, as did Industrial Automaton's R2 series astromech droid. While difficult, some organics such as Anakin Skywalker, Hera Syndulla and Rey were able to understand it. After many years, Luke Skywalker was also able to understand binary which he didn't when he was younger as a farm boy.
The most common way for binary droids to communicate with organics was by writing, conveyed via another computer system. This is how astromech droid copilots would speak with the pilot of a starfighter.
All droids could understand binary. Without a computer system to write their words when it was necessary for organics to hear what a binary-only droid had to say, another droid, such as protocol droids or others capable of speaking a common language like Galactic Basic could translate for them. The astromech BB-8 spoke in 27th generation droidspeak, a compressed variant of standard droidspeak.
- Wrrk-wrrk. Weeeeeoop!—"I said counter clockwise!"
- Wah-wah. Wrry-wrry-nahwikoo!—"Let's get outta here!"
- Prrp-paree-paree pairreeoop?—I Agree!"
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (Mentioned only; as "droidspeak")
- Star Wars Complete Visual Dictionary, Updated Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ The Rebellion Begins
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope