Binary or droidspeak was the language commonly spoken by droids. It consisted of a set of beeps and whistles strung together into what resembled sentences. The C1-series astromech droid utilized this form of communication, as did Industrial Automaton's R2 series astromech droid. While difficult, some organics such as Anakin Skywalker, Hera Syndulla and Rey were able to understand it.
The most common way for binary droids to communicate with organics was by writing, conveyed via another computer system. This is how astromech droid copilots would speak with the pilot of a starfighter.
All droids could understand binary. Without a computer system to write their words when it was necessary for organics to hear what a binary-only droid had to say, another droid, such as protocol droids or others capable of speaking a common language like Basic could translate for them. The astromech BB-8 spoke in 27th generation droidspeak, a compressed variant of standard droidspeak.
- Wrrk-wrrk. Weeeeeoop!—"I said counter clockwise!"
- Wah-wah. Wrry-wrry-nahwikoo!—"Let's get outta here!"
- Prrp-paree-paree pairreeoop?—I Agree!"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Secret Weapons"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Sunny Day in the Void"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Missing in Action"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Point of No Return"
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Escape
- Rise of the Rebels
- Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion (Mentioned only)
- The Rebellion Begins
- Battle to the End
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
- Star Wars: Princess Leia, Part IV
- Star Wars 1: Skywalker Strikes
- Episode IV: A New Hope Read-Along Storybook and CD (Heard in CD recording, otherwise indirectly mentioned only)
- "The Crimson Corsair and the Lost Treasure of Count Dooku" (as droidspeak)
- Before the Awakening
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel