A black hole was a celestial phenomenon which was the result of a star experiencing a supernova. A black expanse, black holes contained a singularity and possessed immense gravity, devouring all available matter or accumulating it in a region known as its accretion disk.
Shortly after the formation of the Galactic Empire, Lieutenant Commander Orson Krennic, accompanied by Mas Amedda and several others, traveled to a binary black hole formation known as the Hero Twins where they tested a prototype version of the superlaser that would eventually be installed on the Empire's planet-destroying battle station, the Death Star, by firing it at the deceased stars.
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (First appearance)
- Battlefront: Twilight Company (Mentioned only)
- "Contingency Plan"—From a Certain Point of View (Mentioned only)
- Battlefront II: Inferno Squad (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath (First mentioned)
- Aftermath: Empire's End (Mentioned only)
- Bloodline (Mentioned only)