Blaze bugs were crimson insects used by Yuuzhan Vong warriors to represent battle images; specifically used in the Yuuzhan Vong War. Capable of glowing and darkening at the commands of a yammosk, blaze bugs would provide visual representations of both Yuuzhan Vong and enemy vessels. Subtle differences in the coloration, sound, and even scent of the blaze bugs could tell the Yuuzhan Vong commander the disposition and effectiveness of the various vessels they represented. They were often used in conjunction with cognition thrones. Their bodies were hot to the touch, and when not being used, would descend upon nearby Yuuzhan Vong to suck their blood with stinging proboscises.
- Episode I Adventures 5: The Ghostling Children
- Episode I Adventures 8: Trouble on Tatooine (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Star by Star (First appearance)
- The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream
- The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand
- The New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force