- "The average humanoid adult has a blood volume of approximately four-point-nine liters, of which two-point-seven liters is plasma. Humanoid survival with an untreated Class Four blood loss—that is, greater than forty percent of total volume—is unlikely for more than a few minutes. The amount of blood soaked into this carpet is, I estimate, nearly three liters. Even if the deceased had recently spent some months at an altitude sufficient to have radically thickened his blood, his red cell count could not be sufficient to allow survival with such a volumetric loss."
- ―I-5YQ, on the stabbing death of Ves Volette
Blood was a bodily fluid that many species had. It provided a way for the body to transport oxygen, nutrients, waste and other things vital to survival over the body. The color of blood varied between species. Most species, including Humans, Chiss, Zabraks, and Aqualish, had red blood. Duros, Falleen, Rodians, and Trandoshans had green blood, Rattataki and Talz had blue blood, Geonosians had yellow blood, Devaronians, Aleena, Massassi and Yuuzhan Vong had black blood.
According to Han Solo, the taste of blood was roughly equivalent to the taste of liquid tin. A blood transfusion from a Force-sensitive to a non-Force sensitive would not grant the latter a connection to the Force. In 3645 BBY, Sith Lord and alchemist Darth Scabrous used a backpack-mounted intravenous device to transplant uncontaminated blood when he was infected by a zombie-creating virus known as "the Sickness". This slowed the rate of transformation, allowing him so survive much longer than others who were infected.
Behind the scenesEdit
Blood is occasionally visible in the Star Wars films. In Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, a brief splatter of blood can be seen when Obi-Wan Kenobi cleaves Darth Maul. In Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, Obi-Wan has blood on him after Dooku cuts his arms and legs. In Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, blood can be seen inside the canisters of the medical droid when Darth Vader is receiving medical treatment after losing the duel on Mustafar against Obi-Wan. In Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, Ponda Baba lost his arm to Obi-Wan's lightsaber, which produced a trail of blood. Following that, every subsequent time a limb is amputated on-screen or a wound of any kind is inflicted by a lightsaber, the lightsaber flash-cauterizes the wound, resulting in little to no blood loss or any visible blood.
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: Good Ol' Beggar's Canyon)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: Same Beast, Different Sewer) (Picture only)
- Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide
- Planets of the Galaxy, Volume Two
- The Star Wars Planets Collection
- Alien Encounters
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- Ultimate Adversaries
- Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds
- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Suns of Fortune
- Dangerous Covenants
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Notes and referencesEdit
- Blood on Wikipedia