Under the Old Republic, there were many beings designated Blue Leader. Jedi Knight Aayla Secura commanded a Blue Squadron of Jedi early during the Clone Wars, leading her squad of Jedi starfighters into combat on Kamino and elsewhere. A Republic clone pilot commanded a Blue Squadron consisting of V-19 Torrent starfighters during the Battle of Muunilinst. Clone trooper pilot Axe commanded Blue Squadron under the title of "Blue Leader." Even Ahsoka Tano, in her Delta-7B Jedi starfighter, commanded a Blue Squadron of BTL-B Y-wing starfighters over Ryloth during the Clone Wars. Later Kit Fisto used the call sign during the Battle of Ukio.
The Rebel Alliance also maintained a Blue Squadron, led by Captain Merrick Simms during the Battle of Yavin. Simms was again designated as Blue Leader for the Battle of Endor, where he was killed in an attack on the Imperial Main communications ship. Luke Skywalker served as Blue Leader during patrol duties over Yavin 4 and led his squadron in a rescue of Domina Tagge's freighter from attacking TIE Fighters around 0 ABY. Skywalker was also designated Blue Leader during a later mission in which he led a squadron of Bothan pilots into combat against the freighter Suprosa, in an attempt to capture plans for the second Death Star. The Sullustan pilot Ten Numb became Blue Leader following the Battle of Endor.
- Star Wars: Republic 50: The Defense of Kamino
- Star Wars: Clone Wars – "Chapter 10"
- Star Wars: Republic 61: Dead Ends
- Star Wars: Republic: The Dreadnaughts of Rendili
- Star Wars: Republic: The Siege of Saleucami
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
- Star Wars 35: Dark Lord's Gambit
- Shadows of the Empire novel
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi novel
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
- X-wing: Rogue Leader 1
- Mission to Zila (Vision to Alexandra Winger)