- "No outsider will ever rule Mandalore!"
- ―Bo-Katan Kryze, to Darth Maul
Bo-Katan Kryze, a human female born to House Kryze, was a Mandalorian warrior who served Death Watch during the Clone Wars. Determined to restore her homeworld of Mandalore to its ancient traditions, she joined Pre Vizsla's splinter group with the intent of overthrowing the pacifist government led by her sister, Duchess Satine Kryze. As a member of Death Watch, Bo-Katan was Vizsla's trusted lieutenant and the commander of an elite unit known as the Nite Owls.
Following several failed attempts to reclaim Mandalore, Bo-Katan and Death Watch joined Darth Maul's Shadow Collective. Although their alliance with the former Sith apprentice achieved Death Watch's rise to power, it also led to Vizsla's death in single combat with Maul who claimed the darksaber and his opponent's place as leader of Mandalore. However, Bo-Katan refused to recognize the legitimacy of an outsider's claim, consequently resulting in a civil war between Maul's supporters and those who shared Bo-Katan's views. As the conflict engulfed her home planet, Bo-Katan implored Jedi General Obi-Wan Kenobi to reveal Maul's actions to the Galactic Republic, preferring the prospects of a Republic military invasion over Maul's reign.
By the time of the Clone Wars, Bo-Katan had joined Death Watch and was serving as a lieutenant under Pre Vizsla. She also led a small group known as the Nite Owls. After Death Watch set up camp on Carlac, Bo-Katan met with former Separatist Lux Bonteri and his friend Ahsoka Tano. When Bonteri and Tano turned against them, Bo-Katan chased them down.
- "We allied ourselves to Sith before. Count Dooku, he betrayed us. Sith are no better than Jedi. They claim to be powerful, but we put these two back together after the Jedi gutted them."
- ―Bo-Katan about joining the brothers
Following the events on Carlac, Bo-Katan and Vizsla discovered an escape pod containing two Zabraks; the former Sith Lord Maul and his brother, Savage Opress following their skirmish with Obi-Wan Kenobi and the Ohnaka Gang on Florrum. They then brought the two to their camp on Zanbar to heal them. When Maul awoke, Bo-Katan was Force choked when she pointed her blasters at him. However, Vizsla threatened to kill Savage if harm came to Bo-Katan. Bo-Katan was then let go and Vizsla and Savage introduced themselves to each other. They told each other how they came to be due to their common enemy: Obi-Wan Kenobi. Despite Maul and Vizsla agreeing that it was the will that met, Bo-Katan was skeptical about allying with another Sith due to their previous alliance with Count Dooku. She knew the Sith brothers were no better than Dooku and were defeated by Kenobi on Florrum. Bo-Katan was then force-choked by Maul to show that the New Mandalorians, Dooku and all their enemies would be defeated. Bo-Katan was then released and Death Watch agreed to "liberate" Mandalore with Maul.
Building the Shadow Collective Edit
- "(Laughing) I see that negotiations have gone as planned."
- ―Bo-Katan, after the attempt to convince the Hutt Grand Council to join them failed.
Bo-Katan told Maul and Vizsla that Death Watch was not ready to takeover Mandalore. Despite that, Maul decided to enlist the help of Black Sun by going to their fortress on Mustafar to start building their army. Bo-Katan, along with the Sith brothers, Vizsla and a strike team were able to convince the surviving Black Sun leader Ziton Moj to join with them in their campaign for Mandalore. They then returned to Zanbar, where Lom Pyke and his Syndicate decided to join them in their campaign.
Bo-Katan and the other members then went to Nal Hutta to enlist the help Grand Hutt Council. However, the negotiations fell apart when bounty hunters Sugi and Embo attacked the sith brothers. Bo-Katan then fought the guards. After the bounty hunters escaped, Death watch was able to capture one of the Council's members Oruba who was killed after revealing the Council had gone to Tatooine.
Bo-Katan, Vizsla and the Shadow collective then went to Tatooine. There, they attacked Jabba the Hutt's Palace and gave him a chance to join them. Their attack convinced Jabba and his council to join the Collective. Outside of Jabba's palace, Vizsla told Bo-Katan that would eliminate Maul after they take over Mandalore.
As a proud Mandalorian warrior, Bo-Katan often wore a full suit of Mandalorian armor, complete with a helmet and Z-6 jetpack. Like the other female members of Death Watch, the viewports in her helmet were shaped in a manner more reminiscent of the outline of the human eye, instead of the more masculine-looking T-shape used for the armor of Death Watch leader Pre Vizla and bounty hunter Jango Fett.
Behind the scenesEdit
Bo-Katan's voice was provided by American actress Katee Sackhoff for her appearances in The Clone Wars. In the character's first appearance in the "A Friend in Need", her face was concealed by her Mandalorian helmet. On September 10, 2016, Katee Sackhoff revealed that Bo-Katan would make an appearance in the animated series Star Wars Rebels at Oz Comic-Con Sydney.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- Star Wars Rebels
- (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Rebels: Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Academy"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Skirmish on Florrum"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Katee Sackhoff at Oz Comic-Con Sydney. Darryl James (September 10, 2016). "We're at Sydney Comic Con today and heres hot actress Katee Sackhoff onstage now. She just announced she's just voiced her Star Wars role again for Rebels." (archive copy created on September 10, 2016) (screenshot)