|Chronological and political information|
The Human male Bob Hudsol hailed from the planet Corellia during the Galactic Civil War. A member of the Alliance to Restore the Republic, Hudsol was a resistance leader in Bothan Space and developed strong ties to the Bothan Spynet. By the year 0 BBY, Hudsol had become a commander in the Alliance's military forces. That year, Hudsol was in the Great Temple, the Alliance's base on the moon Yavin 4. At that time, General Jan Dodonna, the base's commander, received the stolen plans of the Galactic Empire's first Death Star battlestation. Dodonna analyzed the plans and found that the Death Star had a weakness in its thermal exhaust port found in one of its surface trenches, which would be vulnerable to proton torpedoes. A successful attack would lead to a chain reaction that would destroy the whole station. Hudsol attended a meeting during which Dodonna discussed his findings, and arranged for the base's starfighter squadrons to attack the Imperial superweapon.
During the battle, Hudsol was in the base's command center with Dodonna, keeping watch over the battle. He kept small groups of starfighters separated from one another to allow several different attacks on the Death Star. The battle was won when the Rebel pilot Luke Skywalker successfully fired proton torpedoes into the Death Star's exhaust port, effectively destroying the station. Following the battle, Hudsol was present alongside Dodonna in the ceremony awarding the Medal of Bravery to the Heroes of Yavin: Skywalker and pilots Han Solo and Chewbacca.
Personality and traitsEdit
Behind the scenesEdit
- "The script [of The Star Wars Holiday Special] revealed that the cartoon's Rebel leader was named General Ristt, apparently a stylized version of a minor character from Star Wars' Yavin 4 base scenes, judging by the facial hair."
- ―Alex Newborn
Bob Hudsol first appeared in 1977's Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope as one of the minor Rebel characters seen first in the briefing before the Battle of Yavin, and then during the battle itself and in the ceremony honoring the Heroes of Yavin. Although uncredited in the film itself, Hudsol was portrayed by actor John William Ault. In 1978, a similar-looking Rebel officer appeared in The Story of the Faithful Wookiee, a cartoon that was shown in The Star Wars Holiday Special. Referred to only as a "General" by other characters in the cartoon itself, the character was identified as General Ristt in the Holiday Special's script. Hudsol was first identified by name in a card for the A New Hope Limited expansion set of the Star Wars Customizable Card Game. Despite that, as a result of Hudsol's resemblance to Ristt, Dr. Curtis Saxton mistook the two for the same character in his Star Wars Technical Commentaries. The two characters have also been mistaken as being the same on the fan site Starwarsholidayspecial.com. In addition, Alex Newborn, the author of the article I Have a Bad Feeling About This! published in Star Wars Insider 106, speculated that Ristt was a stylized version of Hudsol. Of note, the video game Star Wars: Rebellion portrays another Rebel character, Commander Vanden Willard, with Hudsol's likeness.
- Perfect Evil (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope junior novel
- The Star Wars Storybook
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope PhotoComic
- Contemporary Motivators: Star Wars
- Star Wars 6: Is This the Final Chapter?
- Star Wars Manga: A New Hope 4
- Star Wars: A New Hope - The Special Edition 3
- Star Wars: A New Hope - The Special Edition 4
- Star Wars book-and-record
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope book-and-record
- Star Wars: Empire 15: Darklighter, Part 4
- Star Wars Infinities: A New Hope (Non-canonical appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 65 ("Hudsol, Bob")
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars Customizable Card Game – A New Hope Limited (Card: Rebel Commander)
- ↑ "Nerf-Herders Anonymous- 06/04/2001. Nerf-Herders Anonymous. Archived from the original on June 11, 2012. Retrieved on June 11, 2012.
- ↑ The Story of the Faithful Wookiee
- ↑ The Fourth Draft Script - 09/13/78. The Star Wars Holiday Special. Archived from the original on December 23, 2010. Retrieved on May 14, 2012.
- ↑ Curtis Saxton (November 16, 1997). Rebel Alliance Insignia. Star Wars Technical Commentaries. TheForce.net. Archived from the original on July 20, 2011. Retrieved on May 14, 2012.
- ↑ General Ristt. The Star Wars Holiday Special. Archived from the original on December 23, 2010. Retrieved on May 15, 2012.
- ↑ "I Have a Bad Feeling About This!"—Star Wars Insider 106
- ↑ Star Wars: Rebellion