Boonta, formerly known as Ko Vari, was a planet that had been colonized by the Hutts. It was located on the other side of Annoo, opposite Ingo, and was the fourth of seven planets in the Dernatine system of the Outer Rim Territories.
The planet Boonta was orbited by a scrapyard which served as a graveyard for damaged starships. A plumbing supply plant was located on the farthest south of the three continents.
Formerly known as Ko Vari, the Hutts established control during the Pre-Republic era. Between 25,120 and 25,096 BBY, the planet was annexed into Xim's Empire as he expanded his borders from the Kingdom of Cron. Ko Vari had a prospering population until it was decimated first by Xim the Despot and later by the Republic Navy's Swift Fleet during the Great Sith War. The planet never entirely recovered from these catastrophes.
Realizing that the galaxy's dominant Human species could not participate in the podracing industry on Tatooine, Yenchara the Hutt of the Desilijic kajidic saw the opportunity for increased profits on Boonta's Eve by establishing the Boonta Speeder Race on Ko Vari.
According to the Hutts, Podraces were based on Ko Vari celebrations held by Boonta the Hutt each year after recapturing the planet. Tionese prisoners were chosen to run but all the losers would be executed.
The planet was renamed Boonta in honor of the hero Boonta the Hutt, who led the troops that defeated Xim the Despot.
Attracting Human colonists, the race led to the rise of other extreme sports such as the annual Zed'hoffa Orbital Diving Competition over the Living Pits. During the Imperial Period Jord Dusat, Kea Moll, and Thall Joben of Ingo won the Boonta Speeder Race with White Witch, despite opposition from the Fromm Gang and Boba Fett, whom Sise Fromm had hired to kill the young racers.
The world was later conquered by the Yuuzhan Vong.
By 44 ABY, the world hosted a relay post for the Lost Tribe of Sith's Sith armada. The Sith apprentice Vestara Khai relayed a message to Boonta from a public S-thread booth on the moon Pydyr, revealing that she and the Jedi Luke and Ben Skywalker had tracked Abeloth to the moon.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode I Racer (Indirectly mentioned through a reference to the Boonta Eve.)
- Podracing Tales (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (Indirect mention only)
- Episode I: The Phantom Menace ½ (Appears in flashback(s)) (Indirect mention only)
- Rogue Planet (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Racer Revenge (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Droids—"The White Witch" (First mentioned)
- The White Witch (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Droids—"A Race to the Finish" (First appearance)
- A Race to the Finish
- Legacy of the Force: Tempest (Indirect mention only)
- Fate of the Jedi: Vortex (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game (Indirect mention only)