Bothans were the species credited with stealing information concerning the Death Star II, despite sustaining heavy casualties, thereby enabling the Rebel Alliance to plan an attack on the unfinished space station. The Bothans also provided the Rebel Alliance with other useful information, such as the door code for the shield generator bunker on the forest moon of Endor.
Bothans were known to communicate with each other in a series of growls.
Behind the scenesEdit
Bothans were first mentioned in the 1983 film Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, the final installment of the Star Wars original trilogy. Though the mention of Bothans in the film by Mon Mothma didn't expound on their nature, the Bothans' role and sacrifice in securing intel on the second Death Star is well-known as a consequence.
Given the absence of the Bothans from the 2018 reference book Star Wars: Alien Archive - Species Guide, when asked about the matter on his Twitter account, Lucasfilm Story Group's Matt Martin mused the possiblity that the Bothans perhaps aren't an species. As an example, Martin cited the Alderaanians, who are humans native from Alderaan, as an example to show that Bothans could be people, or that perhaps they are an organization, but as he says, Bothans have yet to make a canon appearance.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Mentioned only)
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Cold (Mentioned only)
- Heir to the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Annual 1 (Mentioned only)
- Battlefront: Twilight Company (Mentioned only)
- Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First mentioned)
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side! (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization (Mentioned only)
- Bloodline (First appearance)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Return to the Wheel" (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Escape from Coruscant" (Mentioned only)