Bounty hunters were individuals who could be hired to capture or kill a designated target. The target would have a price or bounty on their heads that would be collected by the bounty hunter upon successful capture or proof of death. Bounty hunters would sometimes team together as part of a larger mission or to handle dangerous targets.
Some bounty hunters acted like mercenaries and were hired to do jobs other than tracking down bounties. Hutts often kept these mercenary hunters on retainer so as to have more experienced and capable bodyguards protecting them; Jabba the Hutt was one such Hutt who kept several renowned hunters with him or within Hutt palaces throughout the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War. Jango Fett, a famous bounty hunter active before the Clone Wars, was hired by Lord Tyranus to be the genetic template for the Grand Army of the Republic. El-Les and Bric were hired to help train the clone troopers.
By the reign of the Galactic Empire, many bounty hunters were affiliated with the Bounty Hunters' Guild, which was authorized by the Imperial Office of Criminal Investigation to issue Imperial Peace-Keeping Certificates, which gave bounty hunters access to the Imperial Enforcement DataCore.
Bounties could come from a variety of ways.
Work during the Clone WarsEdit
Prior to the outbreak of the Clone Wars, the Sith Lord Darth Tyranus hired Jango Fett to be the clone template for Kamino's Clone Army. Tyranus then hired Fett and Zam Wesell to assassinate Senator Padmé Amidala of Naboo at the behest of Trade Federation Viceroy Nute Gunray. Tyranus's master, Darth Sidious hired Cad Bane to steal a Holocron from the Jedi Temple. He also hired Embo to attack Senator Rush Clovis.
Some bounty hunters, such as Sugi, Seripas, Embo, and Rumi Paramita were hired by Felucian Casiss to protect his village from the Ohnaka Gang. Sugi and Seripas were then hired by Wookiee General Tarfful to take him and his fellow soldiers to rescue Chewbacca from Trandoshan hunters on Wasskah. The Kaminoans hired Bric and El-Les to train the Clone cadets. Republic also placed bounties on wanted fugitives during the Clone Wars, such as Savage Opress. Even the Separatists offered a million credits a head on any Jedi. Sib Canay hired Greedo and his Gotal partner to kidnap Pantoran Chairman Papanoida two daughters to Tatooine and the Droid Control Ship at Pantora.
Work with the EmpireEdit
The Galactic Empire employed bounty hunters to hunt down Rebels. Private individuals could also list bounties on people. Jabba the Hutt placed a very large bounty on Han Solo who was captured by Boba Fett.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Hostage Crisis"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Death Trap"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Clone Cadets"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Rebel Journal by Ezra Bridger
- ↑ Ezra's Gamble
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Holocron Heist"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "An Old Friend"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bounty Hunters"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Wookiee Hunt"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revenge"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Hunt for Ziro"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sphere of Influence"
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope