Dependent on breathing ammonia
The breathers were a rare Gand subspecies. Scientists were unsure if this race was of an older evolutionary stock, destined to either die out or further evolve; or if they were another coexisting race. This subspecies possessed lungs, along with the usual assortment of internal organs that were typical for most humanoid species.
These Gands were adapted to breathing only ammonia and, unlike the lungless variety, could not survive offworld without respiratory gear. Oxygen exposure could burn the inside of the lungs like acid, which would require organ transplants. If a breather Gand were exposed to oxygen, that individual would display various respiratory symptoms, which included chest pain, shortness of breath, and coughing, which would bring up blood. Due to the unavailability of the necessary treatment to repair the damage, offworld Gands stricken with oxygen inhalation had a higher mortality rate. Zuckuss, a Gand bounty hunter, was a member of this subspecies, as was his second-cousin Lu'daal-ud.
- Alien Encounters (First identified as Breather Gand)
- Alliance Intelligence Reports
- Wretched Hives of Scum & Villainy
- The Essential Guide to Alien Species
- Alien Anthology
- New Essential Guide to Characters
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 50 (BOU13-14, Bounty Hunters - Zuckuss)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 61 (BOU15-16, Bounty Hunters - Zuckuss)
- Ultimate Alien Anthology
- Scum and Villainy
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia