The Brotherhood of the Beatific Countenance was a Force-based Lorrdian religious group that was active during the reign of the Galactic Empire. Most members of the Brotherhood were clad in heavy vermilion robes and cowls to represent a physical vow of silence, a counter to their natural physical expressiveness. Some followers carried staff-mounted censers filled with burning Qatameric incense that permeated through their heavy fabrics and masked their natural scent. In-keeping with the faith's concealment of individuality, some members went so far as to strip themselves of their own names, such as the High Priest, who was referred to by his followers only by a keening wail of a specific pitch. Some members, such as leaders of a congregation, wore Blue Gowns of the Sullen Moon and Lorrdian Cowls of Quiescence.
Members of the Brotherhood of Beatific Countenance often went on religious pilgrimages to worlds of spiritual significance, such as the Mid Rim desert moon of Jedha. They favored a hybrid variant of the meiloorun fruit that had purple rinds instead of the traditional orange-yellow ones.
Toshdor Ni was a member of the Brotherhood who went on a group pilgrimage to Jedha in 0 BBY. He and his fellow followers were in the moon's Holy City shortly before it was destroyed during a test of the Death Star's superlaser.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Brotherhood of the Beatific Countenance was a religious organization created for the first Star Wars anthology film, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, released on December 16, 2016. The Brotherhood was clearly inspired by the Sisterhood of the Beatific Countenance, a now-Legends Lorrdian-based religion whose members wore similar red robes.
- Guardians of the Whills (Mentioned only)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization (Indirect mention only)
- Rogue One Adaptation 2
- Star Wars 38: The Ashes of Jedha, Part I
- Star Wars 39: The Ashes of Jedha, Part II
- Star Wars 40: The Ashes of Jedha, Part III
- Star Wars 41: The Ashes of Jedha, Part IV
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First identified as Brotherhood of the Beatific Countenance)