|Physical and technical specifications|
1.5 - 3kg
|Usage and history|
A modified Bryar rifle with its stock and muzzle sawed down, the Bryar pistol was a fairly standard, relatively accurate blaster. The gun had one additional feature, however: the ability to "charge up" and fire one large blast as opposed to faster, weaker shots. This had no detrimental effects on the gun or its accuracy, but it did consume ammunition at a much higher rate than normal. The Bryar was incredibly accurate at long distances.
Bryar rifles were popular during the waning days of the Old Republic and were afterward highly sought after by blaster aficionados.
The Bryar pistol was the preferred weapon of mercenary-turned New Republic operative Kyle Katarn, given to him by his father as a parting gift for the Imperial Academy, until he adopted a lightsaber as part of his Jedi training. Katarn continued to carry the gun as a backup, unlike other Jedi, and used it extensively after severing his ties to the Force.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Bryar pistol was created by Justin Chin, owing its name to composer Gavin Bryars.
The Bryar pistol is likely based on the cut-down .44-40 caliber 1892 Winchester rifle from the series 'Wanted: Dead or Alive' named by the main character, Steve McQueen as the 'Mare's Leg'.
The "charge-up" feature of the Bryar pistol was not available until its appearance in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, in which the weapon also fired yellow blaster bolts instead of the red of previous games. This, along with slight variances in the weapon's name throughout the series (in order: "modified Bryar pistol," "Bryar pistol," "Bryar blaster pistol"), has led to some ambiguity as to whether it was a new model in the Bryar line or the same gun used in the previous games.
- Star Wars: Empire at War
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- Star Wars: Dark Forces (First appearance)
- Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire
- Star Wars: Yoda Stories (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
- Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
- Dark Forces Manual: Coded Transmissions
- Star Wars: Expanded Universe toy line
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide