While the CR90 would see initial use within the late Galactic Republic and Imperial Senate, many vessels would be appropriated by the early rebellion and Rebel Alliance against the First Galactic Empire, despite not being designed as a combat-oriented vessel.
Designed by the Corellian Engineering Corporation as a diplomatic ship, it would see use within the annals of the late Galactic Republic, Imperial Senate, and later as a combat craft in both the early rebellion and Rebel Alliance. Measuring 150 meters in length, it featured two dual and four single turbolaser turrets, and had the ability to reach a maximum speed of 950 kph. According to Luke Skywalker, some combat-outfitted CR90 ships could be equipped with six dual turbolasers. Capable of carrying an entire diplomatic escort, it had a passenger capacity in the hundreds. Although the ships were not built as carriers, three RZ-1 A-wing interceptors could be attached to the docking rings, allowing for a small escort. They would serve as the backbone of the early rebellion and Alliance. Though not particularly heavily armed, CR90s possessed enough forward firepower to destroy a Gozanti-class cruiser quite easily.
The CR90 line was in service during the Clone Wars. Senator Bail Organa of Alderaan owned a CR90 corvette called the Tantive IV, which he used to travel to Toydaria to negotiate a relief effort for the blockade on Ryloth.
Early rebellion against the Galactic EmpireEdit
After the fall of the Republic and the rise of the Galactic Empire, the CR90 continued to see service within the Empire, with several such cruisers parked at the R/M Facility Four deepdock at Belderone. Additionally, the corvette would continue to be used by Bail Organa during his tenure in the Imperial Senate.
Two CR90 Corvettes were part of the Botajef Defense Force, which was mobilized against the Empire when Governor Quesl declared the secession of Botajef from the Empire. Commodore Thrawn was able to put a stop to them with minimal casualties, capturing Quesl aboard his corvette using a tractor beam.
Bail Organa traveled in the Tantive IV when he recovered R2-D2 and C-3PO from the rebels who operated on Lothal. Organa's rebel movement also used a number of CR90s. Ahsoka Tano, under the codename "Fulcrum", traveled in one when the rebels handed the Rodian informant Tseebo over to her.
Five CR90 corvettes served as part of the Phoenix Cell under the command of Jun Sato, in addition to the flagship, a Pelta-class frigate called the Phoenix Home. Three of them were used to assist the rescue of Lothal rebel leader Kanan Jarrus. After the loss of the flagship in the Siege of Lothal, Commander Sato took one of the corvettes, Liberator, as his new flagship. The Liberator and another corvette, Transport One, were used in an attempt to bring relief supplies to the starving people of Ibaar. Transport One but was destroyed in the first to run the Imperial blockade. It was later replaced by one of the other corvettes for the second attempt, which was successful thanks to the Prototype B6. When Phoenix Cell was discovered to have been hiding on Garel, forces led by Admiral Kassius Konstantine led an assault on them. As the Liberator tried to escape, it was captured by Konstantine's tractor beam. However, the tractor beam was disabled by the Ghost, which freed the Liberator and escaped.
After Mon Mothma declared the formation of the Rebel Alliance, several CR90s traveled with many more rebel ships to her location at Dantooine. Shortly after, General Jan Dodonna took three CR90s with his fleet to meet Phoenix Cell, and their three CR90s, at their base on Atollon, in preparation to attack the TIE defender project on Lothal. However, Grand Admiral Thrawn's forces ambushed the fleet of rebel ships. In the ensuing battle, three of the six CR90s were destroyed. The final three fled with the remaining rebels back to Phoenix Cell's base. When Thrawn's ground forces overran the base, the Liberator and one other CR90 escaped and attempted to run Thrawn's blockade. The Liberator escaped, but the other corvette was destroyed.
Galactic Civil WarEdit
A number of years later, after the Alliance to Restore the Republic stole the plans to the Death Star, Princess Leia Organa traveled aboard the Tantive IV to bring the plans to Alderaan. However, her ship was intercepted by the Devastator over Tatooine. The Tantive attempted to escape, but a shot from the Star Destroyer crippled its engines, leaving it vulnerable to boarding.
Numerous CR90s joined the Alliance fleet near Sullust in preparation for an assault on the second Death Star. The fleet arrived at the Endor system to find it was a trap. In the ensuing battle Several CR90s were destroyed.
Many CR90 corvettes participated in the Battle of Jakku. Captain Lindsey's corvette was heavily damaged and crashed onto the surface of Jakku. Several other corvettes joined it in what would become known as the Starship Graveyard.
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: A New Hope
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Mission to Mos Eisley" (Appears in flashback(s))
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- ↑ Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars Rebels: The Siege of Lothal
- ↑ 9.0 9.1
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Star Wars Rebels – "Wings of the Master"
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Heir to the Jedi
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Tarkin
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Thrawn
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Star Wars Battlefront
- ↑ Star Wars Resistance – "The Recruit"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Iron Squadron"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Supply Lines"
- ↑ Leia, Princess of Alderaan
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Droids in Distress"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Gathering Forces"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Fire Across the Galaxy"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "The Lost Commanders"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Legacy"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Zero Hour"
- ↑ Battlefront: Twilight Company
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ "The Levers of Power"—The Rise of the Empire
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront II