- "We're discussing Vader's dessert preferences. If he says yes, he's had cake, then he was human at one point and remembers what it was to be happy, and you can continue to talk because there's some common ground there. But if he says no, he's hopeless. Chuck him out the air lock and end his misery."
- ―Nakari Kelen
While traveling together, Luke Skywalker and Nakari Kelen had a discussion regarding the feared Imperial enforcer Darth Vader, who at the time Skywalker believed had killed his father. Kelen felt that if Skywalker ever had the chance to meet and talk with Vader, he should ask him if he had ever eaten cake because if he had done so then it would be a sign that he was at one time human and therefore not beyond the possibility of redemption.
In her 19 years of existence, Rey had never tasted cake and looked forward to holding Han Solo to his promise of her, Solo, Chewbacca and Finn all having a party with cake when they escaped Starkiller Base.
- Star Wars 27: Yoda's Secret War, Part II (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Evil Plans"
- Dark Disciple (Mentioned only)
- A New Dawn (Mentioned only)
- Heir to the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Annual 3 (Mentioned only)
- "Pest Control"—Star Wars Adventures 3 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel (Mentioned only)