|Chronological and political information|
- "There is no death… there is only the Force."
- ―Cale Berkona, in the grasp of a terentatek
Cale Berkona was a Human male Jedi Knight who took part in the Great Hunt, a Jedi campaign to eradicate Sith-created beasts from the the galaxy in the years following the Great Sith War. During the Hunt, Berkona joined a group of Jedi that traveled the galaxy battling terentateks, dangerous monstrosities that feasted on Force-sensitive blood. In 3993 BBY, Berkona took part in a hunt on the planet Tatooine which saw him barely escape a terentatek's clutches. Although badly wounded and his lightsaber destroyed, Berkona survived and returned to the Jedi Enclave on the planet Dantooine.
A Human male, Cale Berkona was a Jedi Knight in the years following the end of the Great Sith War. In the aftermath of the Sith Empire's defeat in 3996 BBY, the Jedi Order declared the beginning of the Great Hunt, a campaign meant to eradicate Sith-created monstrosities from the galaxy. During the Hunt, Berkona took up with a group of Jedi including Humans Duron Qel-Droma and Shaela Nuur, and Twi'lek Guun Han Saresh, and started going after terentateks—vicious Sith-created beasts that fed on Force-sensitive blood. In 3993 BBY, Berkona joined this team on a mission to cleanse the planet Tatooine of terentateks. The Jedi found and eliminated a number of the beasts, tracking the last remaining terentatek to a cave. Berkona and his compatriots followed the beast in, and the terentatek was briefly able to seize the upper hand, killing one of the hunters.
Berkona quickly found himself in the terentatek's grasp, his lightsaber destroyed—his death seemingly near, Berkona recited part of the Jedi Code as he stared into the monster's maw. However, Duron Qel-Droma was able to confuse the beast with the Force, allowing Berkona to slip away and Saresh and Nuur to slay the terentatek. The dead terentateks were placed on a burning pyre, and an injured Berkona limped back to the group's ship with assistance from Saresh. A metal cast had to be placed on Berkona's left arm by the time the four made their way back to the Jedi Enclave on Dantooine. There, Berkona learned from Saresh that Qel-Droma, Nuur and the Twi'lek had been personally selected by the Jedi High Council to cleanse the Sith homeworld of Korriban of terentateks, a mission that was considered to be highly dangerous. Berkona was initially shocked that the Council would send the three on such a quest, and Saresh expressed to him concerns that Qel-Droma and Nuur's passion for each other might create problems on Korriban.
Personality and traits
- "They need this final hunt done quickly and quietly… and we're the best."
"True. But… aren't you a bit concerned?"
- ―Guun Han Saresh and Cale Berkona, discussing the mission to Korriban
During the Great Hunt, Berkona was willing to place himself in great danger to see the terentateks eliminated, even finding himself in one's grasp on Tatooine. Berkona acknowledged Qel-Droma, Nuur and Saresh's status as the best hunters the Jedi Order had to offer, but was still shocked to hear that the Jedi Council would send those three alone to cleanse Korriban of terentateks. Berkona had light skin with brown hair and blue eyes.
Powers and abilities
Trained in the use of the Force, Berkona was considered one of the less skilled members of his hunting group—behind Qel-Droma, Nuur and Saresh—and on Tatooine he was seriously wounded by a terentatek. Berkona wielded a blue-colored lightsaber, which was destroyed on Tatooine.
Behind the scenes
Cale Berkona first appeared in Shadows and Light, a story in the comic Star Wars Tales 23, written by Joshua Ortega and released in 2005. In Shadows and Light, Berkona was illustrated by Dustin Weaver—his last name was not mentioned in the story itself, and was given by Ortega in a post on the Dark Horse Comics message boards. Dustin Weaver would later provide the artwork for the comic Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 8: Flashpoint, Part 2, and in a post on the Dark Horse message boards he revealed that he meant for one of the Jedi on Flashpoint Station to be Berkona. However, Weaver clarified the Jedi's identity as Berkona to only be "unofficial", and as his presence on Flashpoint Station has never been alluded to in another source, this article does not include it.
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 "Shadows and Light"—Star Wars Tales 23
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
- ↑ Ortega, Joshua (2005-06-11, 17:53). Dark Horse Message Boards • View topic - Tales KOTOR story Jedi?. Dark Horse Message Boards. darkhorse.com. Retrieved on July 18, 2014. “Completely new Jedi in the story are Master Aleco Stusea (head of the Council on Dantooine), Bala Nisi (human female), Qual (a Selkath), and Cale Berkona (the Jedi in the terentatek's grip at the start).”
- ↑ Weaver, Dustin (2006-10-14, 02:40). Dark Horse Message Boards • View topic - KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC #8 - The doctor will see you now. Dark Horse Message Boards. darkhorse.com. Retrieved on July 18, 2014. “And, "is that Cale Berkona laying on his back in Demagol's waiting room," you ask. Officially, I don't know. He would be, what, at least in his 40s, or am I totally mixed up on my time line? You don't get a good look at his face, so I guess it's possible. Unofficially... it is him. I like doing little "Easter egg" kind of things here and there and that definitely is one. Good eye!”