Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "Would sacrificing one life to prevent it have been such a bad bargain?"
"That is a question all beings eventually ask themselves. For those who wish to remain civilized, there can be only one answer."
- ―Borsk Fey'lya and Chief of State Ponc Gavrisom
Calibops were an avian sentient species known during the times of the New Republic. The species had manes and prehensile wingtips. They also had a reputation of being better with words than with acts, something that not even the Calibops themselves argued.
Biology and appearanceEdit
A Calibop was a tall avian sentient. At least one Calibop had pale blue eyes. A Calibop also had a mane of feathers that the individual could shake, sometimes indicating an easygoing criticism.
A Calibop had a big beak that could be used to whinny in the species' equivalent to a sigh, or to expel sounds created in the depths of the Calibop's throat. A Calibop had a robust voice generated in the beak.
Calibops had big wings that did not allow them to fly, but an individual could flutter them to increase his walking speed. The wings could be folded either in front or behind the person, and were strong enough to be used in melee combat. The tips of the wings were prehensile like fingers. Calibops used these as fingers to press keys, or to flicker restlessly.
Calibops also had tails that they could flicker in what was considered the Calibop version of a shrug.
Society and cultureEdit
- "But there are many in the New Republic who believe that Calibops are skilled at words and nothing more. Perhaps the time for words has ended, and the time for action has arrived."
- ―Ponc Gavrisom
The Calibops had a reputation for being particularly rhetorical, even if it detracted their skill for other activities seen as more active. The Calibops themselves were familiar with their stigma, but many of them believed that words were useful at certain times, even if only actions could be useful at other times.
- "I was only doing my job."
- ―Chief of State Ponc Gavrisom
Calibops in the galaxyEdit
One of the most prominent Calibops in galactic history was Ponc Gavrisom, Chief of State of the New Republic from 18 ABY to 21 ABY, and signatory of the Bastion Accords of 19 ABY that marked an official ending to the Galactic Civil War.
In 29 ABY, a tall Calibop was seen among the Mandalorian Protectors, also including Humans and Bothans, gathered by Boba Fett in Caluula Station, soon before it was assaulted by the Yuuzhan Vong invaders.
Behind the scenesEdit
The first appearance of this species was in the novel Specter of the Past (1997), by Timothy Zahn. The only Calibop to appear in that novel was Ponc Gavrisom. The species was first depicted graphically in an image in The Essential Chronology.
- Specter of the Past (First appearance)
- Vision of the Future
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
- The New Jedi Order: Star by Star
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force
- Millennium Falcon
- The Essential Chronology
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Shown in an image in The Essential Atlas
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Specter of the Past, chapter 10
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Specter of the Past, chapter 7
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Specter of the Past, chapter 2
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial, chapter 5
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force
- ↑ Vision of the Future, chapter 41
- ↑ Specter of the Past, chapter 20
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Vision of the Future, chapter 32
- ↑ Specter of the Past, chapter 10
- ↑ Vision of the Future, chapter 36
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 The New Jedi Order: Star by Star, chapter 18
- ↑ Vision of the Future, chapter 16
- ↑ Vision of the Future, chapter 35
- ↑ Ponc Gavrisom is featured in Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future, and mentioned in The Essential Chronology, The New Essential Chronology, The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia and The Essential Atlas.