A candle was an archaic illumination source. Candles were made of meltable material, with a central wick which was lit to give light as it burned. The light produced by a candle was dim and flickering. To prevent extinguishment or excessive flickering, they were sometimes put into portable cases. In 22 BBY, a band of Tusken Raiders kidnapped Shmi Skywalker Lars, mother of Jedi Anakin Skywalker, and kept her prisoner among their encampment. Skywalker eventually found his dying mother held within a hut illuminated by dozens of candles.
Beyond their practical use, candles were also lit around graves and tombs in honor of the dead. When a deceased Human citizen of Naboo could not be cremated in the vicinity of the Livet Tower, which contained an Eternal Flame, it was customary to place a lighted candle on their chest.
- Red Harvest
- Star Wars: Republic 64: Bloodlines
- Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones novelization
- "Uhl Eharl Khoehng"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 8
- Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
- Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
- Heir to the Empire
Notes and referencesEdit
- Candle on Wikipedia