- "I wish I could put my fist through this whole lousy, beautiful town."
- ―Rose Tico, summing up her feelings regarding Canto Bight
Canto Bight was a coastal city on the desert planet Cantonica. The city was a destination for wealthy individuals, and it was filled with casinos and racetracks. During the war between the Resistance and the First Order, Resistance members Finn and Rose Tico traveled to Canto Bight.
Canto Bight was the capital city on the planet Cantonica that lay on the shores of the Sea of Cantonica, the largest artificial ocean in the galaxy. Canto Bight was a destination for wealthy tourists, gamblers, and war profiteers, who visited its lavish casinos and racetracks. Child workers rode quadruped creatures called fathiers in the city's racetracks. The Canto Bight Police Department were the law enforcement of the city.
Canto Bight was a tourist and gambling destination on the Outer Rim world of Cantonica, which was part of a corporate fiefdom known as the Corporate Sector. At the time of the Galactic Civil War, Canto Bight was already being referred to as the most luxurious casino around by certain individuals. During the First Order–Resistance war, the Resistance operatives Finn, Rose Tico, and BB-8 traveled to Canto Bight as part of a mission to recruit the Master Codebreaker in order to disable the First Order's hyperspace tracker. Finn and Rose parked their ship on a public beach, leading the Abednedo businessman Slowen Lo to alert the Canto Bight Police Department.
They tried to make contact with the Master Codebreaker but were instead arrested by Canto Bight police officers for a traffic violation. While being detained at the Canto Bight police headquarters, the two met the slicer DJ, who offered to help them disable the hyperspace tracker in return for their freedom. BB-8 also tied up the guards, allowing Finn, Rose, and DJ to escape the prison. While fleeing through the Canto Bight racetrack, Rose convinced the child worker Temiri Blagg to help them escape in return for giving him her Resistance ring. Blagg released a herd of fathiers, which stampeded through the streets of Canto Bight. The stampede cause the town's businesses significant damage.
Finn and Rose escaped on a back of a fathier to Canto Bight's outskirts where they were picked up by DJ and BB-8, who had stolen the luxury yacht Libertine. The group then traveled to the First Order Mega-class Star Dreadnought Supremacy in an attempt to disable the hyperspace tracker.
Behind the scenesEdit
Canto Bight was created for Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi, and it was described by director Rian Johnson as "a Star Wars Monte Carlo–type environment, a little James Bond–ish, a little To Catch a Thief."
The planet and its casino were heavily inspired by the city of Monaco, the Monte Carlo Casino, and the Monaco Grand Prix Race. Parts of Star Wars: The Last Jedi were filmed in Dubrovnik in March 2016.
During the late design process of The Last Jedi, Lucasfilm Ltd. president Kathleen Kennedy said that Canto Bight's design didn't feel enough "Star Wars" to her, reason for which the creative team scrapped many of their original ideas for Canto Bight and ultimately drew inspiration from early drawings by Ralph McQuarrie for Jabba the Hutt's palace during the development of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi in the 1980s.
- Last Shot
- "You Owe Me a Ride"—From a Certain Point of View (Mentioned only)
- "The Lost Eggs of Livorno"—Star Wars Adventures Annual 2018 (Mentioned only)
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker (First appearance)
- "Rules of the Game"—Canto Bight
- "Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing"—Canto Bight
- "The Wine in Dreams"—Canto Bight
- "The Ride"—Canto Bight
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi – DJ – Most Wanted 1
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- The Last Jedi: Rose and Finn's Secret Mission
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 3
- "Tales from Wild Space: Family Affair, Part 1"—Star Wars Adventures 10 (Mentioned only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 "Rules of the Game"—Canto Bight
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: The Last Jedi – DJ – Most Wanted 1
- ↑ Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ "The Lost Eggs of Livorno"—Star Wars Adventures Annual 2018
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ Kamp, David (May 24, 2017). Cover Story: Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the Definitive Preview. Vanity Fair. Retrieved on May 24, 2017.
- ↑ Star Wars Episode VIII Starts Shooting in Dubrovnik this Week. Croatia Week (8 March 2016). Retrieved on March 20, 2016.
- ↑ Milekic, Sven (15 February 2016). Star Wars Adds Shine to Croatian 'Pearl' Dubrovnik. Balkan Insight. Retrieved on March 20, 2016.
- ↑ The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi