The capital of a planet or territory was usually the primary city and was the seat of that planet or territory's government. However, a capital would not always be the largest city of that area. Similarly, a capital world was the primary planet in a star system and to an extension, the whole sector. Often a capital planet of a sector was simply the oldest (and most known or advanced) inhabited planet. It was common custom in the galaxy to name Sectors and Systems after their capital planet. For example Corellia > Corellian system > Corellian sector.
In ancient times, the Rakatan homeworld of Lehon served as the capital of the Infinite Empire until its collapse. The Core Worlds planet of Coruscant served as the capital of the Galactic Republic for over twenty-five millennia. It also served as the capital for several galactic governments including the Galactic Empire, the New Republic, the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances, Darth Krayt's Galactic Empire, and the Galactic Federation Triumvirate. During the seventeen Alsakan Conflicts (17,000 BBY–3017 BBY), Alsakan contested Coruscant's right to be the galactic capital.
During the Galactic Civil War, the resurrected Emperor Palpatine designated Byss as the capital of his Dark Empire. The Pentastar Alignment, one of the remnants of the Empire, had its capital on the planet Entralla. Following the destruction of Byss, the Imperial Remnant under Gilad Pellaeon was based on the Mid Rim world of Orinda before finally settling down on the Outer Rim world of Bastion. Bastion would later serve as the capital of the Fel Empire during the Sith–Imperial War and the Second Imperial Civil War.
During the Yuuzhan Vong War, the extra-galactic Yuuzhan Vong invaders seized the galactic capital Coruscant in 27 ABY. The Vong terraformed Coruscant as Yuuzhan'tar in an attempt to remake it in the image of their lost homeworld. Coruscant was retaken by Galactic Alliance and allied forces in 29 ABY. Following the death of Supreme Overlord Shimrra Jamaane and the capitulation of the Yuuzhan Vong empire, the Vong relocated to the living world of Zonama Sekot, which was an offshoot of the original Yuuzhan'tar. While Coruscant was being rebuilt, the Galactic Alliance established a temporary capital on the Inner Rim world of Denon.
Ziost served as the capital of the Old Sith Empire until the Great Hyperspace War in 5000 BBY. Later, Darth Vitiate's True Sith Empire based its capital on Dromund Kaas' Kaas City. During the Light and Darkness War, Korriban served as the capital of the Brotherhood of Darkness. During the Republic Dark Age, Darkknell served as the capital of the Sith fiefdom known as the Daimanate while a rival Sith fiefdom called the Arkadianate was based on Calimondretta.
During the Clone Wars, the Confederacy of Independent Systems established its capital on Raxus Secundus in the Tion Hegemony. Neimoidia served as the capital of the Trade Federation during the last decades of the Old Republic. Muunilinst served as the headquarters of the InterGalactic Banking Clan. During the Second Galactic Civil War, the planet Corellia served as the capital of the secessionist Confederation.
In ancient times, the planet Varl was the capital of the ancient Hutt Empire until the Hutts relocated to the planet Evocar in 15,000 BBY and renamed it Nal Hutta. In the Tion Hegemony, Argai served as the capital of the Kingdom of Cron and later Xim the Despot's empire. Centuries later, the planet Desevro served as the capital of the Livien League and later the Honorable Union of Desevro & Tion. During the Tionese War, Desevro was devastated by the Republic.
The Corporate Sector Authority, the government of a corporate fiefdom known as the Corporate Sector, based its capital on the planet Etti IV. The city of Ta'a Chume on the planet Hapes served as the administrative capital of the Hapes Consortium, an insular matriarchal regime in the Inner Rim. The icy planet of Csilla served as the capital of the Chiss Ascendancy in the Unknown Regions. Lwhekk was the capital of the Ssi-ruuvi Imperium, another political power in the Unknown Regions' Ssi-ruuk Star Cluster.
Several planetary governments also had a capital city. Theed was the capital of Naboo. Salis D'aar was the capital of the Outer Rim world of Bakura. Coronet was the capital of the planet Corellia. Aldera was the capital of the planet Alderaan. Pau City served as the capital of Utapau while Rwookrrorro was the capital of Kashyyyk.
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- Planets of the Galaxy, Volume Three
- The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook
- The Star Wars Planets Collection
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
- Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide
- Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids
- Star Wars: The Art of the Brothers Hildebrandt
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- The New Essential Chronology
- Star Wars Kids 2
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Art and Making of Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: OOM-9 (★★★))
- Suns of Fortune
- Fly Casual
- Strongholds of Resistance
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ Dark Nest I: The Joiner King
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Legacy 1: Broken, Part 1
- ↑ Legacy 1: Broken, Part 1
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ Dark Empire
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 The Essential Atlas
- ↑ Crimson Empire III: Empire Lost 2
- ↑ Legacy 3: Broken, Part 3
- ↑ The New Jedi Order: Star by Star
- ↑ The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force
- ↑ Evil Never Dies: The Sith Dynasties
- ↑ The Old Republic: Revan
- ↑ Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
- ↑ Knight Errant novel
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Heroes on Both Sides"
- ↑ Darth Maul: Saboteur
- ↑ Star Wars: Clone Wars – "Chapter 2"
- ↑ Legacy of the Force: Betrayal
- ↑ Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 Cracken's Threat Dossier
- ↑ The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 The Truce at Bakura
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ The Illustrated Star Wars Universe
- ↑ The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- Capital on Wikipedia