- "Capital City is where you'll find the most people on this world. It's where people run the businesses of Lothal."
- ―Ezra Bridger
Founded by Lothal's original colonists, Capital City was established on the site of the planet's primary trading outpost. A simple city, resembling many other trading hubs on the fringes of the galaxy, consisting of single- and two-story prefabricated buildings. At the heart of the city was the Old Republic Senate Building, where the planetary government assembled to govern and administer to the economy of the agriworld. Expanding outward, rather than upward, new structures were built with local stone and simple materials like plasteel that was imported.
When the Clone Wars ended, the Galactic Empire responded to pleas from the beleaguered planetary government and established a permanent presence in Capital City. Using eminent domain laws, the Imperial Governor seized property at the center of the city and demolished the simple structures, laying the foundations for Imperial-style skyscrapers. Depopulating entire sectors of the city to make way for industrial and military buildings, the Empire employed mass arrests and violent crackdowns to supplant local insurrections and maintain the peace. With half of the city replaced by the Imperial government, the city's landscape was a mix of architectural types. Imperial patrols maintain a strict curfew, and abuse of the locals was frequent and violent. Imperial recruiters for the Imperial Academy often met in the marketplaces of Capital City, attempting to bring in new students to serve their Empire. Imperial patrols did not stop some, such as the young con artist Ezra Bridger, from disrupting such efforts through sabotage and destruction of Imperial property.
Capital City was the home of both Zare Leonis and his girlfriend Merei Spanjaf. Among other institutions, it hosted the Junior Academy of Applied Sciences ("AppSci"), the Empire's Academy for Young Imperials and the Vocational School for Institutional Security. The town's outskirts hosted the Ake's Tavern, later used by the criminal cartel known as the Gray Syndicate, while its industrial quarter had a number of old warehouses, such as 1044 Chapel.
- (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Rebels: Rebel Journal by Ezra Bridger
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- Ultimate Sticker Collection: Star Wars Rebels
- "A Trip to the Light Side"—Star Wars Insider 152 (Picture only)
- Star Wars Rebels: Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook
- "Star Wars Rebels Recounted"—Star Wars Insider 156
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Nexus of Power
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Endless Vigil
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Nexus of Power
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: The Siege of Lothal
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Vision of Hope"
- ↑ Ezra's Gamble
- ↑ Ezra's Duel with Danger
- ↑ Servants of the Empire: Rebel in the Ranks
- ↑ Servants of the Empire: The Secret Academy
- Preview of Star Wars Rebels' "Rebel Journal: Ezra's actual journal!". Making Star Wars. Retrieved on May 31, 2014.