Capital ship was a general term that referred to any armed military starship that had a length greater than one hundred meters. Ships of this class ranged from small and nimble corvettes like the Corellian Engineering Corporation CR90 corvette to titanic Star Dreadnoughts, such as the Kuat Drive Yards Eclipse.
- "But these instruments of destruction have their weaknesses as well. High power consumption, low maneuverability; complex redundant system design, large crew requirements, tactical disadvantages against small starfighters - luckily for the galaxy, these ships are not unstoppable, though they come closer than any other weapon in recorded history…"
- ―Commander Elpfel.
Ships of this class were typically designed for fleet warfare, often positioned in armadas stationed in high orbit around a strategic planet. They usually formed the primary attack groups in most fleets. There were, however, a few exceptions to the typical definition. For example, the Sienar Fleet Systems GAT-12 Skipray Blastboat was considered a capital ship because of its heavy armament, despite being a mere twenty five meters in length and operating primarily in the role of a heavy assault starfighter.
These vessels were commonly fitted with ship-to-ship and anti-fighter defensive weaponry, ranging from heavy ion cannons to turbolaser turrets. Many capital ship classes also served as carriers and were able to deploy starfighters, landing craft, and other resources as required.
Given their size, capital ships employed relatively numerous crews, employing in some instances thousands of beings. An example was the Imperial-class Star Destroyer, which was 1,600 meters long and required a crew of 37,000 to operate at full efficiency. There were also examples that utilized a much smaller number of active personnel, whether by means of advanced control systems or simply necessity, as in the cases of the Katana fleet and the Errant Venture, respectively.
Following the Anaxes War College System capital ships were divided into seven main classifications.
- Corvettes: Ships of roughly 100 - 200 meters length
- Frigates: Ships of roughly 200 - 400 meters length
- Cruisers: Ships of roughly 400 - 600 meters length
- Heavy Cruisers: Ships of roughly 600 - 1000 meters length
- Star Destroyers: Ships of roughly 1000 -2000 meters length
- Battlecruisers: Ships of roughly 2000 - 5000 meters length
- Dreadnaughts: All ships over 5000 meters length
However ships could sometimes be moved up or down in classifaction, depending on their armament and intended role. As an example, the Carrack-class light cruiser would fall into Frigate classification with its length of just 350 meters, but due to its armament and role, it was sometimes moved up into the cruiser category.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Starfighter
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Strongholds
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire
- Strike Force: Shantipole
- (Mentioned only)
- "Chessa's Doom"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 1
- Capital Ship on Wikipedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ The Stele Chronicles
- ↑ Imperial Sourcebook, Second Edition
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: TIE Fighter
- ↑ Star Wars: Incredible Cross-Sections
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- ↑ Starships of the Galaxy (Saga Edition)
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Warfare