- "The Jedi set a trap. They lured us into battle against a small Republic fleet. During the attack a team of Jedi Knights boarded your ship. The Jedi strike team captured you and the Council used the Force to reprogram your mind; they wiped away your identity and turned you against your own followers."
- ―Darth Malak to Revan
- "You cannot win, Revan!"
- ―Bastila Shan, moments before Revan's apparent death
Overwhelmed by Sith invasion forces commanded by the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Revan, the Republic and the Jedi Council knew that they could not hold out forever against the seemingly infinite Sith fleet. In desperation, they drafted a daring plan to deprive the Sith of their powerful and charismatic leader. By carrying out their scheme, they hoped to end the war prematurely by destabilizing the fledgling Sith Empire and giving the Republic Military time to rally its forces.
In the year 3,957 BBY, the Republic set a trap for Revan. A small Republic fleet was sent to the Outer Rim Territories to act as bait. A contingent of Jedi commanded by Bastila Shan accompanied the fleet and led the mission. The Jedi Council's gamble paid off when a Sith fleet commanded by Darth Revan himself engaged the small Republic force.
Amidst the resulting fleet battle, Bastila Shan's strike team, made up of a mixed force of Republic military personnel and Jedi, managed to board Darth Revan's flagship and battle their way to the command deck. It is unknown how many Jedi were originally in the task force but at least four made it along with at least one Republic soldier to the bridge to engage Revan and his acolytes. Seemingly undaunted, Revan struck down all who approached him. Standing on the command deck of his vessel, Revan force choked the Republic soldier before readying himself to duel Bastila and her few remaining companions.
Darth Malak's betrayalEdit
- "I ordered my own ships to fire on your bridge. I thought I could destroy all my enemies with a single glorious stroke! I never dreamed the Jedi would take you alive from the wreckage."
- ―Darth Malak to Revan
In that moment of doubt, the ambitious Darth Malak, Revan's Sith apprentice, decided that the time was right for his ascension to the rank of Dark Lord of the Sith. Seeing his chance to usurp his Master's title, Malak ordered his gunners to open fire upon the bridge of Revan's command ship, but all did not go as he had planned; the majority of the Jedi strike team was killed and Darth Revan's flag ship was destroyed, but Revan himself survived. The remaining Jedi captured the critically injured Dark Lord and escaped the ship prior to its destruction.
Bastila used the Force to save Revan's life, thus forming a powerful Force bond between them. The Jedi brought Revan before the Jedi Council who rebuilt his broken mind with a new personality loyal to the Republic in an effort to mask his true identity. In so doing, they hoped that Revan's subconscious memories would lead them to the source of the Sith's seemingly endless supply of military hardware. With his aid, they would attempt to locate it and destroy it at any cost.
Behind the scenesEdit
Though the video game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic heavily implies that Bastila never actually engaged Revan in battle (Malak firing on Revan's ship just before such a fight could take place), an illustration from Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force depicts such a scene. It remains unclear whether or not the engagement actually occurred.
- The Betrayal of Darth Revan
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (First appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan (Mentioned only)
- Timeline 8: The Jedi Civil War (Appears in hologram)
- Chronicles of the Old Republic
- The New Essential Chronology
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II ("Lestin, Zhar")
- The Essential Atlas
- The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit