- "You're being put into carbon-freeze."
- ―Lando Calrissian, to Han Solo
Carbon-freezing was the process by which liquid carbonite was flash-frozen into a solid state, encasing materials for transport in a strong metal alloy. Such materials could even include sentient beings.
During the Clone Wars, Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker came up with idea to be frozen in carbonite to avoid being detected by the the battle droid's scanners of Lola Sayu's blockade and the Citadel which ultimately led to the Battle of Lola Sayu.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Missing in Action" (On a poster)
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Snare (Mentioned only)
- Lost Stars (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "In the Name of the Rebellion"
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization
- Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Star Wars: Uprising
- Bloodline (Mentioned only)
Non canon appearancesEdit
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Lost Treasure of Cloud City"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Return of the Kyber Saber"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales Episodes I-III (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens