- "You're being put into carbon-freeze."
- ―Lando Calrissian, to Han Solo
Carbon-freezing was the process by which material was frozen into carbonite. Such material could include sentient beings. During the Galactic Civil War, Han Solo was frozen in carbonite on Cloud City. The freezing process resulted in hibernation sickness, causing temporary blindness.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi