- "To freeze a being solid, then hang him on a wall like some trophy?"
- ―Han Solo, expressing his disdain with the Galactic Alliance's carbon-freezing methods
- "Oh, they've encased him in carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is."
In the freezing process, the gas was pumped into a freezing chamber where it was mixed with molten carbonite into a solid block. The gas was released later at its destination or at the processing center.
Darth Vader ordered the modification of a freezing chamber on Bespin's Cloud City so that he could freeze Luke Skywalker—eliminating any chance of escape—to transport him to the Emperor. As a test, the process was tried on Han Solo, who survived the freezing process through the use of a special device and was eventually freed from his trap. Other people unfortunate enough to be frozen in carbonite include Trioculus, Antares Draco, Chihdo, Czethros, Keto, Roni von Wasaki, Sintas Vel, Valin and Jysella Horn, Savage Opress, Grees, Lorn Pavan, and Mathal.
During the Galactic Civil War, a large number of Sith Troopers and possibly a Sith Master, frozen in carbonite, were discovered by the Nightsister Silri with the help of a Sith holocron stolen from Jabba the Hutt by Tyber Zann.
Carbon-freezing could induce hibernation sickness after being released, as was the case with Han Solo. The Alderaanian Medical Association established that inhaling carbon-freezing smoke was a health risk.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
- Star Wars: Tiny Death Star