- "Lots of carbon scoring here. You've both seen a lot of action."
- ―Luke Skywalker
Carbon scoring was residual damage from burning and gas that could end up on droids. After their experience escaping from the Tantive IV and venturing through the Jundland Wastes, both C-3PO and R2-D2 had a lot of carbon scoring, something Luke Skywalker noted when he examined them.
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Mentioned only)
- Ahsoka (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Holocrons of Fate" (Mentioned only)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Escape from Darth Vader
- Episode IV: A New Hope Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Darth Vader 7: Shadows and Secrets, Part I