- "Oh, they've encased him in carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is."
Carbonite was a liquid substance that was made from carbon gas and could change into a solid through rapid freezing. Goods could be encased in carbonite for preservation, through a process known as carbon-freezing. Carbonite blocks could also be used to place people in hibernation. Before the invention of the hyperdrive, some early spacers would use carbonite to endure long voyages. That technique, however, had brutal side effects, collectively referred to as hibernation sickness. Droids such as the DLC-13 mining droid could be made out of heat-resistant carbonite.
During the Galactic Civil War, Skywalker, now Darth Vader, intended to trap his son Luke in carbonite. Having blackmailed Lando Calrissian into letting him use the carbon-freezing facility on Bespin, he tested the device out on Han Solo. Boba Fett transported the carbonite block to Jabba's Palace, where Jabba displayed it as a trophy.
Non canon appearancesEdit
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Lost Treasure of Cloud City"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Race on Tatooine"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Return of the Kyber Saber"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Embersteel Blade"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales Episodes I-III (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Princess Leia: Royal Rebel
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- ; image #4, 7 (of 9)
- ; image #15 (of 17)