- "Oh, they've encased him in carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is."
Carbonite was a liquid substance that was made from carbon gas and could change into a solid through rapid freezing. Goods could be encased in carbonite for preservation, through a process known as carbon-freezing. Carbonite blocks could also be used to place people in hibernation. Before the invention of the hyperdrive, some early spacers would use carbonite to endure long voyages. That technique, however, had brutal side effects, collectively referred to as hibernation sickness. Droids such as the DLC-13 mining droid could be made out of heat-resistant carbonite.
During the Galactic Civil War, Skywalker, now Darth Vader, intended to trap his son Luke in carbonite. Having blackmailed Lando Calrissian into letting him use the carbon-freezing facility on Bespin, he tested the device out on Han Solo. Boba Fett transported the carbonite block to Jabba's Palace, where Jabba displayed it as a trophy.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Missing in Action" (On a poster)
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Snare (Mentioned only)
- Lost Stars (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
- Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales Episodes I-III (Non-canonical mention)
- Star Wars: Uprising
- Bloodline (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ; image #4, 7 (of 9)
- ; image #15 (of 17)