It was located in the Maldrood sector on the Perlemian Trade Route at the outermost edge of the Mid Rim, and billed itself as "the last civilized stop before the wild and woolly Outer Rim". Its population was estimated to be about one billion.
For millennia, certain scholars believed Centares to be part of the historic Kiirium Reaches conquered by Xim's empire roughly a century prior to the founding of the Galactic Republic. This was based on the prevalence of the name "Astigone"—a world noted in Tionese documents from the Pre-Republic era—among the world's luxury resorts. This theory was ultimately disproved when the Corellian historian Bleys Harand uncovered evidence that the Kiirium Reaches were in fact the Ash Worlds of the Outer Rim Territories.
In the waning days of the Galactic Republic, Centares called itself "the jewel of the Mid Rim," drawing traders and tourists from across the galaxy. However, the Galactic Empire tapped its lava beds and strip mined its magnificent prairies, turning it into a grimy, polluted factory world within a decade, when its resources expired and the Empire moved on. Centares endeavored to rebound, and its cities and spaceports like Muracie were still teeming, but no tourists were forthcoming.
Most representative of the depredations of the Empire was Rubyflame Lake, which once held clear, shallow, geothermally-heated water colored red by suspended silica. After the Empire, the waters retained their reddish cast, but were tainted by pollutants capable of dissolving flesh in minutes.
It was on this planet that Darth Vader killed Beilert Valance, inspiring Tyler Lucian to suicide rather than betray the name of Luke Skywalker to Vader. Despite Lucian's sacrifice, Vader learned the name of Luke Skywalker from Thurlow Harris whom he interrogated on Centares.
Greater Maldrood and New RepublicEdit
When Grand Admiral Zsinj was killed, Teradoc declared himself "High Admiral of the Mid Rim" and found himself in the middle of a war between Admirals Teren Rogriss of the Empire and Gial Ackbar of the New Republic. Teradoc was eventualy defeated by the New Republic forces and he was forced to abandon the Greater Maldrood to the New Republic and flee to the Deep Core.
Yuuzhan Vong WarEdit
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Mentioned only)
- Republic HoloNet News Core Edition 14:3:22 (Mentioned only)
- Labyrinth of Evil (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 25: Siege at Yavin (First appearance)
- Star Wars 27: Return of the Hunter (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 29: Dark Encounter
- Vader's Quest 1
- Rebellion 16: Vector, Part 8 (Mentioned only)
- The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Mentioned only)
- "Shape-shifters"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 12 (Mentioned only)
- "Shining Stars"—Star Wars Insider 52
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook