|Chronological and political information|
Chad Hilse was an Alderaanian ensign in the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the Galactic Civil War. Strongly dedicated to defeating the Galactic Empire, he was serving aboard the CR90 corvette Tantive IV when it was attacked and disabled by the Imperial I-class Star Destroyer Devastator. While defending Princess Leia Organa and the captured Death Star plans she possessed, Hilse was killed in a gunfight with the 501st Legion stormtrooper unit.
Chad Hilse was a Human male born on Alderaan. During the Galactic Civil War, he became a loyal trooper for the Alliance to Restore the Republic, strongly dedicated to defeating the Galactic Empire. He was assigned the rank of ensign and received training in both starship and ground combat. In 0 BBY, he was stationed aboard the CR90 corvette Tantive IV when Princess Leia Organa received a transmission from Rebel spies containing plans for the Death Star, a massive Imperial battlestation and superweapon.
Hilse was aboard the Tantive IV when it was attacked and disabled over Tatooine by the Imperial I-class Star Destroyer Devastator, the flagship of the Sith Lord Darth Vader. Hilse was among the detachment led by Lieutenant Pello Scrambas that attempted to repel Imperial boarders expected to storm the ship. After taking defensive positions along the corvette's corridors, Hilse and his fellow soldiers engaged the 501st Legion stormtrooper unit. He was among the first to be killed in the ensuing gunfight.
Due to false reports issued under Vader's orders, it was initially believed that the Tantive IV was destroyed and its personnel killed during an asteroid storm. It was only later, when Organa successfully brought the Death Star plans to the Rebel base on Yavin 4, that the true circumstances of Hilse's death became known to the galaxy.
Personality and traitsEdit
Chad Hilse was, in many ways, typical of the volunteers serving in the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the Galactic Civil War. He was very loyal to the Rebellion and believed strongly in its mission, and was equally fervent in his opposition to the Galactic Empire and dedication to defeating it. This was illustrated by his willingness to stand against the Imperial boarders on the Tantive IV, despite being heavily outmanned and outgunned by the Devastator's forces. Hilse was a well-rounded fighter who received training in both starship and ground combat.
Behind the scenesEdit
Chad Hilse was a bit role played by an as-yet unidentified actor in the first Star Wars film, A New Hope (1977). The character had no lines and was not identified by the name Chad Hilse until 1995 with the release of Decipher's Star Wars Customizable Card Game. His name and most of his backstory were featured on the "Rebel trooper" card in the Premiere Limited card set.
The Tantive IV gunfight between the Imperial stormtroopers and Rebel troopers has been depicted in both the first issue of the comic series Star Wars: A New Hope - The Special Edition and the first issue of Star Wars Manga: A New Hope. Neither issue includes every trooper involved in the gunfight, and it is not clear if Hilse appears in either comic.
Two Star Wars action figures bearing a strong resemblance to Hilse have been released: one from the Star Wars: Power of the Jedi toy line in 2001, and another from the Star Wars Saga line in 2002. However, both figures were called "Rebel Trooper (Tantive IV Defender)" and did not bear Hilse's name, so it is unclear whether they are based specifically on Hilse or another character wearing the same uniform.
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars: A New Hope - The Special Edition (Possible appearance)
- Star Wars Manga: A New Hope (Possible appearance)
- Star Wars: Battlefront II (Cutscene only)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope PhotoComic
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: Rebel Trooper) (First identified as Chad Hilse)
- The Art of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic (Indirect mention only)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Star Wars Encyclopedia
- ↑ The Official Star Wars Fact File 69 (Crisis on the Tantive IV)
- ↑ Star Wars: Battlefront II
- ↑ "Refresher Reading"—Star Wars Insider 90
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: Rebel Trooper)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: A New Hope - The Special Edition 1
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars Manga: A New Hope 1
- ↑ 9.0 9.1
- ↑ 10.0 10.1