The chaff countermeasure was a means of protection against warheads commonly mounted on small spacecraft. Deployed from the ship's aft, a chaff burst caused a scattering of particles designed to confuse a warhead's guidance system, detonating the warhead prematurely and thus protecting the ship itself.
Behind the scenesEdit
The chaff burst is based on its real-life counterpart of the same name, normally used by military aircraft. In real-life, chaff consists of hundreds of tiny strips of a reflective surface, such as aluminum, and is designed to confuse radar (such as on an incoming missile). In Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance, the chaff burst appears as bright flashes of multi-colored light. The precise mechanics of the system are unknown.
- Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
- One Last Night in the Mos Eisley Cantina: The Tale of the Wolfman and the Lamproid
- Dark Forces: Rebel Agent
- X-Wing: The Bacta War
- X-Wing: Wraith Squadron (Mentioned only)
- Dark Forces: Jedi Knight
- Planet of Twilight (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream
- Legacy of the Force: Bloodlines
- Legacy of the Force: Tempest
- Chaff on Wikipedia