- "His fight against the droids has made him a symbol of freedom for the people."
- ―Mace Windu, about Cham Syndulla
A member of Ryloth's nobility, Syndulla opposed the policies of the Galactic Republic and Ryloth's senator, Orn Free Taa. When the Clone Wars began and the Separatists invaded his world, Syndulla formed a group of freedom fighters to combat the invading droid army. When the Republic came to Ryloth to free the world from the yoke of the Separatists, he formed an alliance with Jedi Master Mace Windu and his clone troopers to liberate the capital city of Lessu as the droids had begun a major bombing campaign against Twi'lek settlements. The liberation of Lessu ended the battle for Ryloth and saw the capture of Separatist leader Wat Tambor.
After the Clone Wars ended, the Republic was replaced by the Galactic Empire and Ryloth was occupied by the new government who planned to use its resources for its own military production. Syndulla opposed the Imperial presence on Ryloth and formed a new group of freedom fighters, the Free Ryloth movement, to disrupt Imperial military targets in the system. The freedom fighter eventually tried to strike a deadly blow to the new Empire when Emperor Sheev Palpatine and his apprentice, Darth Vader, visited Ryloth. However, the attempt to kill the Sith Lords failed and Syndulla was made to flee while his movement was destroyed.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Supply Lines"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Liberty on Ryloth" (First appearance)
- Lords of the Sith
- "Mercy Mission" (Mentioned only)
- A New Dawn (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Homecoming"
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- "Hera: A New Breed of Hero"—Star Wars Insider 151
- "Blaster"—Star Wars Insider 156
- "A Sith Spectacular"—Star Wars Insider 157
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know