Chandrila was one of the planets targeted for destruction by Emperor Sheev Palpatine's second Death Star, who planned to use the station's planet-shattering superweapon to end the Rebellion through sheer terror.
Following the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY, Chandrila became the capital of the New Republic and the seat of the newly formed Galactic Senate as a tribute to the Republic of old. It was not permanent, however, as the Republic chose to rotate its capital world based on elections.
Chandrila was a small blue-green planet with calm seas and rolling hills. It had mild seasonal weather and rarely experienced dangerous weather conditions. Chandrilans were regarded as peaceful but slightly haughty, pedantic, and interested in politics. Chandrilans had a reputation for being tolerant of same-sex relationships but some disliked former Imperials.
The planet's capital city was Hanna City which hosted the Chandrila Senate house; the site of the New Republic's Galactic Senate in the months following the Battle of Endor. Other known locations on Chandrila included the Old Gather-House, the Senate Plaza, and the Silver Sea. The settlement Junari Point was located a few klicks outside Hanna City and hosted a bar.
In ancient times, the planet Chandrila was settled by settlers who built the Old Gather House. Chandrila was a member of the Galactic Republic. During the Clone Wars, Mon Mothma served as Chandrila's senator in the Galactic Senate. During the Galactic Civil War, Chandrila supported the Alliance to Restore the Republic; making the planet a target of the Empire's second Death Star. Olia Choko regarded Chandrila as a small planet that was the origin points of big ideas.
Following the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY, Chandrila became the capital of the New Republic, the successor government to the Rebel Alliance. The New Republic's Galactic Senate was first established in Chandrila's Hanna City. Queen of the Core Network began broadcasting on Chandrila. Imperial prisoners from war zones like Coruscant and Akiva were imprisoned on Chandrila. New Republic Starfighter Corps pilots were trained at Landing Platform OB-99 near the Silver Sea.
After Han Solo and Norra Wexley's team freed a hundred Rebel prisoners from Ashmead's Lock on Kashyyyk, the former prisoners were flown to Chandrila where they were accommodated in temporary housing and received medical treatment. Later, the Galactic Senate accepted Grand Admiral Rae Sloane's offer to conduct peace talks near Hanna City. In secret, this was a pretext for Fleet Admiral Gallius Rax to launch his attack on the New Republic leadership using the former Ashmead's Lock prisoners as unwilling assassins. The resulting Liberation Day attacks were broadcast live on HoloNet to audiences across the galaxy. This had the result of undermining morale in the New Republic and setting the stage for the Battle of Jakku. The attack also led for calls to relocate the New Republic capital to a more fortified world.
Behind the scenesEdit
The planet Chandrila was first mentioned in Kathy Tyers' 1994 Legends novel The Truce at Bakura. The planet has since appeared or been referenced in numerous Legends media and literature. In the Disney Canon continuity, Chandrila first appeared as the New Republic's capital in Chuck Wendig's 2015 novel Aftermath; which was released as part of the Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens multimedia project. The planet also appeared in Aftermath: Life Debt, the second installment in The Aftermath Trilogy.
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Mentioned only)
- Ahsoka (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo" (Mentioned only)
- Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath (First appearance)
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- Bloodline (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- Star Wars Rebels: Rebel Journal by Ezra Bridger (First mentioned)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Aftermath
- ↑ Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Aftermath: Empire's End