Chandrila was a planet in the Core Worlds of the galaxy. The female human Mon Mothma hailed from Chandrila, and represented her homeworld in the Senate of the Galactic Republic. It was also the homeworld and birthplace of Ben Solo.
Chandrila was one of the planets targeted for destruction by Emperor Sheev Palpatine's second Death Star, who planned to use the station's planet-shattering superweapon to end the Rebellion through sheer terror.
Following the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY, Chandrila became the capital of the New Republic and the seat of the newly formed Galactic Senate as a tribute to the Republic of old. It was not permanent, however, as the Republic chose to rotate its capital world based on elections.
The planet's capital city was Hanna City which hosted the Chandrila Senate house; the site of the New Republic's Galactic Senate in the months following the Battle of Endor. Other known locations on Chandrila included the Old Gather-House, the Senate Plaza, and the Silver Sea. The settlement Junari Point was located a few klicks outside Hanna City and hosted a bar.
In ancient times, Chandrila was settled by settlers who built the Old Gather House. Chandrila was a member of the Galactic Republic and during the Clone Wars, Mon Mothma served as Chandrila's senator in the Galactic Senate. During the Galactic Civil War, Chandrila supported the Alliance to Restore the Republic; making the planet a target of the Galactic Empire's second Death Star. Olia Choko regarded Chandrila as a small planet that was the origin point of big ideas.
Following the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY, Chandrila became the capital of the New Republic, the successor government to the Rebel Alliance. The New Republic's Galactic Senate was first established in Chandrila's Hanna City. Queen of the Core Network began broadcasting on Chandrila. Imperial prisoners from war zones like Coruscant and Akiva were imprisoned on Chandrila. New Republic Starfighter Corps pilots were trained at Landing Platform OB-99 near the Silver Sea.
After Han Solo and Norra Wexley's team freed a hundred Rebel prisoners from Ashmead's Lock on Kashyyyk, the former prisoners were flown to Chandrila where they were accommodated in temporary housing and received medical treatment. Later, the Senate accepted Grand Admiral Rae Sloane's offer to conduct peace talks near Hanna City. In secret, this was a pretext for Fleet Admiral Gallius Rax to launch his attack on the New Republic leadership using the former prisoners as unwilling assassins controlled with inorganic bio-chips installed in their brains. The resulting Liberation Day attacks were broadcast live on HoloNet to audiences across the galaxy. This had the result of undermining morale in the New Republic and setting the stage for the Battle of Jakku. The attack also led for calls to relocate the New Republic capital to a more fortified world.
In the final months of the Civil War, the Republic began the process of relocating the Senate to the Mid Rim world Nakadia. However, Chancellor Mothma and several senators including Princess Leia Organa and Tolwar Wartol still maintained offices on Chandrila. During the Battle of Jakku, Wartol tried to assassinate Mothma by bombing her office. However, Mothma was out of her office but her Adviser Auxi Kray Korbin was killed. Shortly later, Mothma, Organa, Sondiv Sella, and Sinjir Rath Velus met with Grand Vizier Mas Amedda to sign the Galactic Concordance; which facilitated the Empire's surrender to the New Republic. The signing ceremony took place at the crystal cliffs north of Hanna City. On the same day, Organa gave birth to her son Ben Solo. The Imperial capitulation was followed by a week–long Festival of Liberation.
In Luke Skywalker's dream in 34 ABY on Ahch-To, in which he imagined how things were if he hadn't joined the Rebel Alliance and instead stayed on Tatooine and married Camie Marstrap, the Empire used the Death Star to not only destroy Alderaan but also Mon Cala and Chandrila.
Chandrilans were regarded as peaceful but slightly haughty, pedantic, and interested in politics. Chandrilans had a reputation for being tolerant of same-sex relationships. Following the Imperial Era, some Chandrilans disliked former Imperials.
Behind the scenesEdit
The planet Chandrila was first mentioned in Kathy Tyers' 1994 Legends novel The Truce at Bakura. The planet has since appeared or been referenced in numerous Legends media and literature. In the new canon continuity, Chandrila first appeared as the New Republic's capital in Chuck Wendig's 2015 novel Aftermath; which was released as part of the Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens multimedia project. The planet also appeared in Aftermath: Life Debt and Aftermath: Empire's End, the second and third installments in The Aftermath Trilogy.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Mentioned only)
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Mentioned only)
- Ahsoka (Mentioned only)
- Rebel Rising (Mentioned only)
- Rebel Journal by Ezra Bridger (First mentioned)
- Leia, Princess of Alderaan
- Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "In the Name of the Rebellion" (Appears in hologram)
- The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear! (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel (Mentioned only)
- Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath (First appearance)
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- Last Shot
- Bloodline (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition (Mentioned only)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Last Shot
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 Aftermath
- ↑ Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition