- "I will flay your skin from your pathetic bones!"
Bones were calcified, hard tissues that made up the internal skeletons of certains animals, who were referred to as vertebrates. Bones functioned to move, support, and protect the various organs of the body, such as how the skull protected a being's brain, along with producing red and white blood cells and store minerals. Bone tissue was a type of dense connective tissue. Other organics had an exoskeleton or a cartilaginous skeletal structure. After death, a vertebrate's body would decay, releasing its energy back into its ecosystem and leaving the bones behind. Over time, however, they would dissolve too ans transfer energy and minerals back into the ecosystem.
Examples of bonesEdit
Cheekbones were bones that formed part of the Human face. Count Dooku was described as having "high and proud" cheekbones. Wilhuff Tarkin was known for his sharp cheekbones. Trista and Taryn Zel also had sharp, high cheekbones.
The hyoid bone was a bone located near a Human's throat that when fractured usually resulted in fatal injury. This was evident in victims of Force choke, such as Padmé Amidala, who died from complications surrounding a damaged hyoid bone suffered from her husband Darth Vader in 19 BBY.
In some cultures, bones were regarded as having magical properties, from the dangerous Nightsisters of Dathomir to the unassuming Ewoks from Endor. As of 21 BBY, Old Daka, one of the eldest Nightsisters, was known to wear a headdress made of bones. The Ewok shaman Logray would carry a staff ornamented with the spinal bones of a defeated foe.
Behind the scenesEdit
In many cultures, high cheekbones are seen as a sign of female beauty, or as a mark of aristocracy. For this reason, "aristocratic" characters such as Hapans or high-ranking Imperial officials are often described as having prominent cheekbones.
- "The Iskallon Factor"—Twin Stars of Kira
- "Alien Encounters"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 14
- Alien Encounters
- The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide
- Aliens in the Empire
- Ultimate Alien Anthology
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Suns of Fortune
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars Episode I: The Gungan Frontier
- ↑ The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- ↑ Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (novel)
- ↑ Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
- ↑ Invincible
- ↑ Coruscant Nights II: Street of Shadows
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Massacre"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Inferno
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Quick Reference Guide
- ↑ Guthrie, R. Dale. The Nobility of High Cheekbones: The Biology of Beauty. Body Hot Spots: The Anatomy of Human Social Organs and Behavior. Retrieved on May 28, 2008.
Bone on Wikipedia