Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Powers and abilitiesEdit
Officially, the Chief of State was the President of the Senate and civilian Commander-in-Chief of the New Republic Defense Force. The position was referred to by a number of titles: "President" by the media, "Chief of State" by government offices, and multiple variations based on translations from Basic. When addressing the Chief of State, they were usually referred to as Chief, as in Chief Fey'lya. The Chief acted as Chief Councilor of the New Republic Provisional Council.
A Chief of State was elected by a "fifty percent plus one" majority vote of the New Republic Senate. If the Chief of state was incapacitated, incommunicado, or dead, the chairman of the Ministry Council selected an acting Chief of State from among the following: any former Chief of State, the current Minister of State, or any former Minister of State. This person would then act as an interim Chief of State until the proper Chief of State returned or the Senate could elect a new Chief of State.
The Chief of State could be recalled by a majority vote of the Senate on presentation of a petition of no-confidence by a majority of the Ruling Council or Inner Council, or by a quarter of the members of the Senate. The election of a Chief of State could be blocked by the Ruling Council on a unanimous vote. In practice, the power of the Ruling Council to void an election and initiate the recall of a sitting Chief of State meant any candidate proposed by or approved by the Ruling Council was likely to be elected by the Senate. The Ruling Council consisted of the chairbeings of the six Senate councils and the President of the Senate (the Chief of State). The Chief of State had the power to select any member of the Ruling Council to conduct the business of the Senate in their absence from that body.
List of Chiefs of StateEdit
- Mon Mothma (4 ABY–11 ABY)
- Leia Organa Solo (11—17 ABY)
- Mon Mothma (17 ABY) (interim)
- Leia Organa Solo (17—18 ABY)
- Ponc Gavrisom (18—21 ABY)
- Leia Organa Solo (21—23 ABY)
- Borsk Fey'lya (23—27 ABY)
- Pwoe (27 ABY) (self declared; never officially recognized)
- Cal Omas (27—28 ABY)
- New Republic Presidential election, 11 ABY
- New Republic Presidential election, 23 ABY
- New Republic Presidential election, 28 ABY
- The Essential Guide to Characters
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook
- The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
- The Essential Chronology
- "Who's Who in the New Jedi Order"—Star Wars Insider 57
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 9 (COR8, Coruscant – Imperial City)
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 140 (HUT18, The Hutts)
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- The New Essential Chronology
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Diplomatic Corps Entrance Exam
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 9
- Fate of the Jedi: Dramatis Personae
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide
- The Essential Atlas
- "Blaster"—Star Wars Insider 126
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side