Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Chiraneau was a Human male who served the Galactic Empire during the Galactic Civil War. A TIE fighter ace and an expert in the field of deep-space transmissions, he was promoted to the rank of Rear Admiral by Firmus Piett, the commanding officer of Darth Vader's Death Squadron. In 4 ABY, Chiraneau was serving as Piett's personal advisor aboard the Super Star Destroyer Executor during the Battle of Endor, and he was killed when the warship plummeted into the second Death Star's surface.
Sometime following the Battle of Yavin, Chiraneau partook in a skirmish against at least one Rebel pilot. Although defeated in the engagement, Chiraneau managed to escape the battle in his crippled TIE fighter.
Chiraneau was later promoted to the naval rank of Rear Admiral at the request of Admiral Firmus Piett, the commanding officer of Death Squadron, the personal Star Destroyer fleet of the Dark Lord Darth Vader. Chiraneau served as Piett's personal advisor aboard the Super Star Destroyer Executor, the flagship of the fleet. At some point during his service as a Rear Admiral, Chiraneau piloted a VT-49 Decimator.
Battle of EndorEdit
In 4 ABY, Chiraneau was present aboard the second Death Star battlestation during its construction in the Endor system. He was one of the Imperial officers assembled to greet Vader when the Sith Lord arrived aboard the Death Star to discuss the station's lagging construction schedule with Moff Tiaan Jerjerrod, the station's commander. Shortly afterward, Chiraneau was among the officers accompanying Vader along one of the Death Star's corridors leading to the station's main docking bay, where he was again present to welcome Emperor Palpatine's arrival on the station.
When the Rebel Alliance launched an attack on the Death Star, Chiraneau served aboard the Executor as Piett's personal advisor during the engagement. After a Rebel A-wing starfighter crashed into the Executor's bridge, setting off a chain reaction that sent the warship out of control, Chiraneau died when the massive Super Star Destroyer collided with the Death Star's surface.
Personality and traitsEdit
Chiraneau was a deep-space transmissions expert and a TIE fighter ace. He was promoted at the recommendation of Admiral Firmus Piett and served as the latter's personal advisor aboard the Executor, the flagship of the Imperial fleet assembled at Endor. Chiraneau had gray hair, brown eyes and light skin.
Behind the scenesEdit
Admiral Chiraneau first appeared in the opening scene of 1983's Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi as an unnamed background character. He was given a name and a brief backstory in the 2000 Death Star II Limited expansion set of the Star Wars Customizable Card Game and was also given an entry in 2008's The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, the first source to confirm his death at the Battle of Endor.
Chiraneau, in his TIE fighter, was added to the video game Star Wars Galaxies in Game Update 20 as one of various, randomly-generated "elite pilots" whom the player, as a Rebel character, can fight in a Tier 7 Duty Mission. When vanquished, a message indicates that the player successfully defeated Chiraneau. The player then receives a collection icon for the feat. In 2014, Chiraneau was included on a card for the VT-49 Expansion Pack of the X-Wing Miniatures Game, which established his rank of Rear Admiral.
According to several images found on T-bone's Star Wars Universe website, Chiraneau was meant to appear in at least two more scenes in Return of the Jedi not found in the film's final version. The first four images show Vader and a group of Imperial officers, Chiraneau included, heading toward the Death Star's docking bay to greet the Emperor upon his arrival. The last two images appear to be from the beginning of an extended version of the Emperor's arrival, though it is difficult to tell if the actor portraying Chiraneau is present in them.
Because an alternate angle of the Return of the Jedi scene showing Vader's arrival on the second Death Star was reused for Vader's return to the Executor from Bespin in the Special Edition release of The Empire Strikes Back, the actor who portrayed Chiraneau can be seen in the Special Edition version alongside other extras who portrayed Imperial officers in Return of the Jedi.
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (Appeared in comm window)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi PhotoComic
- Classic Star Wars: Return of the Jedi book-and-record (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Action Figure Archive (Picture only)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Death Star II Limited (Card: Admiral Chiraneau) (First identified as Chiraneau)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Death Star II Limited (Card: Captain Sarkli) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Death Star II Limited (Card: Imperial Command) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Reflections II: Expanding the Galaxy (Card: The Emperor) (Picture only)
- "The Men Who Built the Empire"—Star Wars Insider 96 (Picture only)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Death Star Owner's Technical Manual (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
- (Video clip only)
- X-Wing Miniatures Game – VT-49 Decimator Expansion Pack (Card: Rear Admiral Chiraneau—VT-49 Decimator)
- Star Wars: Armada – Gladiator-class Star Destroyer Expansion Pack (Card: Admiral Chiraneau)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 123 ("Chiraneau, Admiral")
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Death Star II Limited (Card: Admiral Chiraneau)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 X-Wing Miniatures Game – Rulesheet (Card: Rear Admiral Chiraneau—VT-49 Decimator)
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Death Star II Limited (Card: Imperial Command)
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Reflections II: Expanding the Galaxy (Card: The Emperor)
- ↑ "The Crumbling Empire" on T-bone's Star Wars Universe