Choose Your Own Star Wars Adventure: The Empire Strikes Back, the second book in the Choose Your Own Star Wars Adventure trilogy, is a young reader novel by Christopher Golden, published by Bantam Skylark in 1998. It is written from the second person point of view with the reader taking on the role of Luke Skywalker's best friend, the protagonist of the story. The book features a number of points in which the reader can influence the story by deciding which page to turn to, resulting in multiple storylines and endings.
Join Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and Han Solo to fight against the evil Galactic Empire—only this time you control the twists, turns, and outcomes of the most exciting adventure in the galaxy. Will you help lead the Rebellion to victory against the Empire? Or side with Darth Vader and betray your friends? The fate of the galaxy is in your hands—May the Force be with you.
You are Luke Skywalker's best friend and a lieutenant in the Rebel Alliance currently stationed at Echo Base on the planet Hoth. When the Empire discovers your base, you can either join Luke and head for Dagobah, or you can go with Princess Leia and Han Solo on the Millennium Falcon.
Possible routes and endingsEdit
- Leave Luke to die by the wampa and try to get back to Echo Base, but freeze to death. (non-canon)
- Don't go with Han's plan to cut open the tauntaun and try to walk back while everyone dies. (non-canon)
- Join Han and the others, meet Lando, get captured by the Empire, and escape.
- Try to fight Darth Vader and get sent to Kessel. (non-canon)
- Han is encased in carbonite and taken by Boba Fett. Rescue Luke and plan Han's rescue.
- Try to escape the space worm in the Millennium Falcon without everyone and get destroyed by an asteroid. (non-canon)
- Join Luke in the Battle of Hoth, and then travel to Dagobah and train with Yoda to become a Jedi. (all of the following are non-canon)
- Run away from Yoda and get left behind by Luke. Yoda finds you and trains you to become a Jedi.
- Don't enter the dark side cave and return to the Rebel Alliance to become Rogue Leader.
- Team up with Luke on Bespin and defeat Darth Vader. Luke kills Vader and you plan Han's rescue. (non-canon)
- Get captured by Darth Vader on Hoth and venture on the dark side of the Force and be left with the choice to betray your friends or not. (all of the following are non-canon)
- Refuse Vader's offer and get sent to Kessel.
- At Cloud City, help Lando rescue Han and the others; they escape but you are captured by Vader and imprisoned.
- Rejoin the Rebels, spending the foreseeable future attempting to resist the pull from the dark side.
- Hand your friends over to the Imperials and become a general of the Empire.