- "Buildings are just buildings. What really makes a city are the inhabitants that live in it."
- ―Clone trooper Waxer
- "Coruscant… the entire planet is one big city."
- ―Ric Olié
In the galaxy, some cities could cover an entire planet's surface, the most well known example being Coruscant's Galactic City. Other cities such as Mos Eisley on Tatooine could be simply large settlements with little to no infrastructure. While most cities were built on a planet's surface, some cities were "floating" above the planet, such as Cloud City on Bespin, or on water such as Tipoca City on the aquatic world of Kamino. Cities could also be built below ground, such as on Utapau, where the cities are housed within large sinkholes that cover the planets surface. During construction, builders would also sometimes make efforts to blend the city with it's surrounding natural habitat. A prime example was the city of Theed on Naboo, a planet which was known for its beautiful river cities of classical architecture and greenery.
Large cities could hold planetary spaceports, company headquarters, offices, and all services. To offer these services, cities were sometimes divided into different districts, public buildings, residential and industrial.
Capital cities were the political center of a planet, sometimes also the cultural center, and they held different buildings for those purposes. As the cultural center of the galaxy and the capital of the Galactic Republic and the Galactic Empire, Coruscant was filled with government and business buildings, such as the Senate Building, as well as homes, theaters, clubs, and other entertainment centers for the enjoyment of the city's population.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars TV series
- Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Ezra's Gamble
- A New Dawn
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Princess Leia, Part II
- Princess Leia, Part IV
- Heir to the Jedi
- Star Wars 1: Skywalker Strikes (Indirect mention only)
- Darth Vader 1: Vader (Appears in flashback(s))
- Darth Vader 3: Vader, Part III (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars: Uprising
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- Star Wars Special: C-3PO: The Phantom Limb (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- "Classic Moment: Lando's Second Surprise"—Star Wars Insider 152
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy