- "The famous writer of Podracer quarterly himself, Clegg Holdfast, is going to give the real thing a try today. Ho ho, hope he can finish the race."
- ―Fodesinbeed Annodue
- "When you spend your life racing pods, you learn to be handy with a wrench and a pit droid."
- ―Clegg Holdfast, after rescuing a racer from Dud Bolt
Holdfast was the son of a fish-catcher father and a candle-maker mother, and was a member of Clan Holdfast. Though the Nosaurian was regarded as somewhat of a joke by his fellow racers, he had made quite a name for himself on the Podracing scene, being one of the top journalists for Podracing Quarterly. In truth, this was Holdfast's primary career. Podracing itself was just a tool for him to get the inside scoop on the races. Many of his loyal readers protested that it was too risky a sport for him to take an active part in, but the Nosaurian's hardy hide enabled him to walk away more or less intact from the many crashes he took during his time. In the Boonta Eve Classic, Sebulba flame-jetted Holdfast's Podracer at The Notch while they were in the second lap. Clegg's flaming engines crashed into the rock wall, and he took severe injuries. Once he had recovered in the Mos Espa hospital, he returned to podracing, and used his connections as a journalist to change the official records to show that he had finished the Boonta Eve Classic in seventh place, with a time of nearly thirty minutes. His reputation thus preserved, Holdfast continued to write for Podracing Quarterly.
Behind the scenesEdit
- «My engines are faster than yours!»
- ―Clegg Holdfast was voiced by Dominic Armato[src]
In his computer game appearances, he was voiced by Dominic Armato.
In one of the deleted scenes of the movie, after Clegg had crashed, his podracer can still be seen being passed by Anakin Skywalker.
About a decade after the Boonta Eve Classic, Clegg can be seen as a main racer in Destiny Mode on Star Wars Kinect for Xbox 360. His personality is revealed to be hardy with a bit of a southern drawl accent, and it is here he admits how he enters the circuits only for the joy of the race. Yet, after protecting the player from a rowdy Dud Bolt and establishing a neighborly friendship, word reaches the retired Sebulba on the Nosaurian's deed. The Dug had overheard of the player's triumph over his racers, and once he heard Clegg was assisting them, he wasted no time in hiring Aldar Beedo to dispose of him in the Coruscant circuit. While racing, the player can see Clegg's pod burst into flames while Fobe and Beed comment of the severity of the crash. Clegg dies during this. Upon winning the circuit, the player can listen as Fobe and Beed describe how Beedo was 'simply gunning for him,' and they pay their last respects for the fallen racer.
- Podracing Tales
- Star Wars: Episode I Racer
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace novel (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Racer Revenge
- A New Hope: The Life of Luke Skywalker (Mentioned only)
- Racer Rush
- Kinect Star Wars
- Star Wars: Episode I The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Episode I: Podracer Punch-Outs
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 7 (PLA4, Planets of the Core Worlds)
- The University of Sanbra Guide to Intelligent Life: The Nosaurians"—Star Wars Gamer 9 "
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 26 (POD1, Podracer Pilots)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Clegg Holdfast)