They led regiments of 2,304 clone troopers into battle. Each legion of clone troopers only had one senior clone commander. Sometimes, however, smaller regiments and battalions were led by clone commanders, like Commander Cody, who led the 212th Attack Battalion. When Jedi needed a group of clone troopers, no matter what size, a clone commander would usually join the group to assist the Jedi Generals.
Clone commanders received flash-training to fulfill their advanced roles and were also bred with extra capacity for autonomy, tactical thinking and coordination. In combat, they were often assigned to field command centers, but participated with their fellow clone troopers in combat if the situation required it.
After success with Advanced Recon Commandos, some ARCs, like Alpha-17, returned to Kamino to retrain clone commanders with ARC skills, making the commanders more independent than they once were. After the commanders were trained, they earned the title "ARC commander", then returned to their legion to train their best clones and assistants in their new skills. Their new, independent training led to distinct personalities among the commanders.
In the beginning of the Clone Wars, the clone officers were distinguished by yellow markings on their armor and helmets. The retrained ARC commanders often added more items to their armor, like ARC trooper kamas and pauldrons. Commanders would also don other peripherals like macrobinoculars or Commander Bacara's cheek plating. Some commanders allowed their best troops to also wear ARC armor.
Notable clone commanders
- CC-6454, "Ponds"
- CC-1004, "Gree" (Senior clone commander, 41st Elite Corps)
- CC-1010, "Fox" (Coruscant Guard)
- CC-1119, "Appo" (Senior Clone Commander, 501st Legion)
- CC-1138, "Bacara" (Clone marshal commander, Galactic Marines)
- CC-1993, "Jet"
- CC-2224, "Cody" (Clone Marshal Commander, 7th Sky Corps)
- CC-3636, "Wolffe"
- CC-3714, "Fil"
- CC-4477, "Thire" (ARC Commander, Coruscant Guard)
- CC-5052, "Bly" (Clone Marshal Commander, 327th Star Corps)
- CC-5869, "Stone"
- CC-8826, "Neyo" (Clone Marshal Commander, 91st Reconnaissance Corps)
- CT-65/91-6210, "Deviss" (previously promoted from captain)
- CC-3388/0021, "Levet" (35th Infantry)
- CT-55/11-9009, "Jai'galaar" or "Jag" (127th Gunship Wing) (later demoted to captain)
- TK-571, "Clutch"
- "Colt" (ARC Commander, Rancor Battalion)
- "Blitz" (ARC Commander)
- "Alpha 58, "Trantos"
- "Davijaan" or "Odd Ball"
- Impavid clone commander
- Tsui Choi's clone trooper commander
- Unidentified clone trooper commander (purple armor)
Behind the scenes
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
- Kowakian Monkey-Lizard
- Giant spiders are awesome
- "Guide to the Grand Army of the Republic"—Star Wars Insider 84
- Order 66: Destroy All Jedi
- Star Wars Miniatures: Clone Strike