The Clone Z-95 Starfighter was a model of starfighter produced jointly by Incom Corporation and Subpro. A variant of the popular Z-95 Headhunter, it was designed specifically for use by the Grand Army of the Republic's clone pilots.
The Republic Navy employed the Z-95 starfighter in several capacities, including escort and starfighter combat against enemy forces from the Navy of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, particularly at the lengthy Battle of Umbara.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "A multi-purpose starfighter, the Z-95 has spawned countless variants, with the Republic making its own mark on the Headhunter's large production run with a clone trooper-specific model."
- ―StarWars.com Encyclopedia entry for the clone Z-95 starfighter
The clone Z-95 starfighter was developed for the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and was first featured in the episodes "Darkness on Umbara" and "Plan of Dissent," which aired with the series' fourth season in October and November 2011, respectively. Since then, they have been featured in the fourth season episode "Escape from Kadavo," as well as in episodes of the series' fifth season and the sixth and final season. The episode guide for "Darkness on Umbara" on StarWars.com initially designated the craft as the "Z-85 Headhunter," implying that it was the predecessor of the Z-95 Headhunter, but this was later changed to "Headhunter starfighter." The starfighter's entry in the StarWars.com Encyclopedia and later the Databank referred to it as a "Clone Z-95 starfighter" and clarified that it was one of many variants in Headhunter line.
The starfighter was designed by the television series' crew with the intention of avoiding similarity to the T-65 X-wing starfighter from the original trilogy of Star Wars films. Instead, it more resembled artist Colin Cantwell's original model for the X-wing starfighter.
The Z-95 starfighter was introduced in LEGO form in the 2013 video game LEGO Star Wars: The Yoda Chronicles. The game, which uses scenes from episodes of LEGO Star Wars: The Yoda Chronicles, features both a Light Side and Dark Side campaign. The Light Side campaign includes the Z-95 as a playable unit at the build hubs in certain missions. The starfighter is also one of the enemy units in the Dark Side bonus missions. A LEGO version also appears in the 2014 mobile game LEGO Star Wars: Microfighters during the Dark Side campaign as an enemy unit. It serves a role similar to that of the TIE/sa bomber.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Darkness on Umbara" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Plan of Dissent"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Escape from Kadavo"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bound for Rescue"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Necessary Bond"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sabotage"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Jedi Who Knew Too Much"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Unknown"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Conspiracy"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis at the Heart"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Unfinished Business"
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Three
- (Picture only)
- (First identified as clone Z-95 starfighter)
- Star Wars: Poe Dameron: Flight Log