They were the successors of the Republic rocket-jumpers of the Old Sith Wars and Darca Nyl's airborne mercenaries from before the Invasion of Naboo and the predecessors of the jumptroopers and sky troopers of the Galactic Empire.
Clone jet troopers were part of the Grand Army of the Republic. Jet troopers utilized their limited flight jetpacks to rapidly cover great distances and gain aerial advantage over their enemies. The agility of the flying jet trooper made him difficult to hit and could ambush their enemies from behind.
Jet troopers were issued Merr-Sonn electromagnetic pulse launchers. They were also equipped with the DC-17 commando pistol, which was very powerful and accurate, especially for its size. It also had a better cooling capacity so it could continue firing for a long period of time without overheating. They also carried V-1 thermal detonators. The troopers learned to incorporate their jetpacks in battlefield tactics, sometimes mounting ambushes like the Mandalorians who had trained them.
Two different types of jet trooper armors were in use during the Clone Wars. The first wore standard Phase I clone trooper armor with the addition of a short-duration JT-12 jetpack. They later adopted Phase II clone trooper armor. The Kaminoan resistance to the Galactic Empire utilized jet troopers as their primary infantry, but carried DC-15x sniper rifles as one of their primary weapons.
In the Battle of Geonosis, a jet trooper was assigned to acquire a Geonosian holocron that fell from one of the Geonosians. The holocron was successfully delivered to Checkpoint Alpha and sent to be analyzed for its secrets. Jet troopers which were part of the 501st Legion also saw action in other battles of the Clone Wars.
- Clone blaze trooper: The clone blaze trooper was the Grand Army of the Republic's frontline close combat infantry support unit and a type of jet trooper.
- Arpitrooper: A variant of jet troopers who utilized repulsor packs to move around a battlefield.
- Aerial recon trooper: Specially trained in recon ops to help pinpoint and attack specific key Separatist forces.
- Clone paratrooper: Clones trained in conducting high altitude drops.
Behind the scenes
Clone troopers using jetpacks have appeared in Star Wars: The Clone Wars TV series, but nothing has connected these troops to the jet troopers.
LEGO included an "aerial trooper" based on the sky trooper concept art with the Clone Turbo Tank set. The aerial trooper also appeared as a Hasbro action figure and was described in Star Wars Insider 84 as a trooper of the Sky Corps.
- Star Wars: Battlefront (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Republic Commando: True Colors (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Battlefront: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Miniatures: Clone Strike
- "Guide to the Grand Army of the Republic"—Star Wars Insider 84
- Star Wars Battlefront II: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Set: 7261 Clone Turbo Tank)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (As jet trooper)
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide
Notes and references
- ↑ Jet troopers first saw action at the Battle of Geonosis, which The Essential Reader's Companion places in 22 BBY. Clone troopers were first bred in 32 BBY.
- ↑ The Grand Army of the Republic was remade at the Declaration of a New Order.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 Star Wars: Battlefront
- ↑ Guide to the Grand Army of the Republic
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront: Prima Official Game Guide
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Star Wars: Battlefront II
- ↑ The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- ↑ Star Tours: The Adventures Continue