|Clone trooper pilot|
- "We're on your tail, General Kenobi. Set S-foils to attack position."
- ―"Odd Ball" Davijaan
They first appeared at the Battle of Geonosis,where they flew LAAT/i and LAAT/c gunships. Pilots also operated CR20 and CR25 troop carriers. In addition, they flew starfighters such as the V-19 Torrent, ARC-170, and Alpha-3 Nimbus-class V-wing. The pilots who flew capital ships wore a special type of armor instead of the regular one, seen in the First Battle of Mon Calamari, during the Clone Wars. Pilots also knew how to operate all military land vehicles such as the AT-TEs.
Clone trooper pilots were born and raised in secret on the Wild Space planet Kamino, starting from 32 BBY. They were clones of the Human male Jango Fett and were purchased for use by the Galactic Republic. Troopers which demonstrated certain aptitudes were selected for pilot training. They first participated in battle ten years after their creation at the Battle of Geonosis by piloting the Republic gunships. During the course of the resulting conflict against the Confederacy of Independent Systems, the Clone Wars, they also flew the ARC-170 starfighters and V-wing fighters that engaged Separatist forces in the depths of space or the skies of scattered worlds. Clone pilots would also occasionally participate in boarding parties, in orbital battles along with Clone marines. In those engagements, clone pilots carried a blaster pistol, F-187 fusioncutters, and time bombs to wreak havoc aboard enemy capital ships. During ground engagements, they carried "DN bolt caster" plasma disruptors and DC-15S blasters, along with health and ammo dispensers with their fusioncutters to support their fellow clones.
The Grand Army of the Republic pilots participated in many battles throughout the war, piloting gunships to transport troopers and flying V-19 Torrent starfighters to engage Separatist starfighters, especially in the early part of the war.
During the Battle of Coruscant, Squad Seven, led by Clone Commander Davijaan, was instrumental in holding off enemy forces and allowing Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker infiltrate Separatist General Grievous' fleeing flagship, the Invisible Hand, which subsequently led to the rescue of Supreme Chancellor Palpatine.
These specialized troopers were normally equipped with a bolt caster, a blaster pistol, and a supply dispenser containing five packs of medicine, bacta, and ammunition (when they were equipped with this and on the ground they served as engineers). However, in space they discarded their bacta, ammo, and bolt casters for time bombs.
When Phase I armor was in use, ground and starfighter pilots wore armor that featured yellow markings and specialized helmets. Those who wore Phase II pilot armor were able to customize their armor. The pilots who flew capital ships wore a special type of armor, as seen in the Battle of Mon Calamari during the Clone Wars.
Two sets of Phase II pilot armor were in use as of 19 BBY. The first set, which used a helmet that was not fully enclosed, was the more common set, as it was used by the majority of pilots. The second set, which had a fully-enclosed helmet and armor that looked similar to that of an AT-AT pilot, was mainly used in the V-wing starfighter, which carried no life support system.
Clone pilots typically operated a variety of vehicles and vessels, including:
- V-19 Torrent starfighter
- Aggressive ReConnaissance-170 starfighter
- Clone Z-95 starfighter
- Alpha-3 Nimbus-class V-wing starfighter
- Low Altitude Assault Transport/infantry
- Low Altitude Assault Transport/carrier
- Unstable Terrain Artillery Transports
- BTL-B Y-wing starfighter
- Republic medical frigate
- Nu-class attack shuttles
- All Terrain Tactical Enforcers
- All Terrain Open Transport
- TX-130 Saber-class fighter tank
- Heavy Assault Vehicle/wheeled A5 Juggernaut
- Heavy Assault Vehicle/wheeled A6 Juggernaut
- Republic Troop Transport
Clone trooper pilots were randomly picked from the normal clone ranks to be pilots and technicians. As the war progessed, a new breed of clones were trained to fly the latest Republic starfighters. They could drive, fly, and pilot most things in the Republic's arsenal of vehicles, although many were trained to specialize in one particular craft.
- Hero's Guide
- Battlefront: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Official Episode Guide: Season 1
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Essential Guide to Warfare places the founding of the Grand Army of the Republic in 32 BBY.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The Essential Guide to Warfare places the Declaration of a New Order in 19 BBY.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Star Wars: Battlefront
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Clone Wars animated tv-series
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: Battlefront II
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 8.6 8.7 Star Wars: The Clone Wars (TV series)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 9.5 Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars (video game)
- ↑ Battlefront: Prima Official Game Guide
- ↑ Star Wars Character Encyclopedia