Coastal defender stormtroopers, more commonly known as shoretroopers, were a specialized variant of the Galactic Empire's stormtroopers trained and equipped for combat in tropical environments. Stationed at the top secret Imperial security complex on the tropical planet Scarif, shoretroopers patrolled the beaches and bunkers of the facility. Shoretroopers operate, effectively, as Sergeants which allow them to command small squads of regular stormtroopers. One of the notable aspects of coastal defender stormtroopers is that the position they serve in is rotational (temporary); subject to rank (skills and qualification) and operational demands (open positions due to mobilization or transfers). On a galactic scale, Shoretroopers, as a whole, are extremely scarce, as the conditions for necessitating their employment is less frequent i.e. few stations or garrisons are located on coastal/tropical planets. Shoretroopers wielded both the E-11 blaster rifle and the upgraded E-22 blaster rifle while stationed on Scarif.
There were at least three distinct ranks of shoretroopers, all with unique armor markings. Regular shoretroopers featured sand colored armor, with a red band around their right arm and a white stripe around their left shoulder guard. Squad leaders were identified by a sand blue stripe that went along the top of their chest plates and onto the top of their shoulder guards. Squad leaders also sported a kama attached to their belt. Shoretrooper captains had almost all of their chest plates blue, along with a small plate of armor that was on their left side. Their right shoulder guard was sand colored, but their left shoulder guard was all sand blue, save for the white stripe. Further down the same arm, there were stripes of sand blue and yellow. Shoretroopers are also known to use different armor load-outs or weapon configurations based on the conditions of where they are stationed or serve.
Behind the scenesEdit
The first footage of the shoretrooper was shown in the teaser trailer for the Star Wars standalone film, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, on April 7, 2016. The shoretroopers were identified by name in the third episode of The Star Wars Show on May 25, 2016.
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- Rogue One, Part V
- Rogue One, Part VI
- Star Wars Battlefront (DLC)
- Battlefront II: Inferno Squad (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 33: Rebels in the Wild
- Star Wars: Commander (First appearance)
- Poe Dameron 8: The Gathering Storm, Part I (Helmet only)
- (First identified as shoretrooper)
- Walmart Presents The Squad: A Star Wars Story
- Entertainment Weekly's Ultimate Guide to Rogue One
- Rogue One: Scarif (December 1, 2016). Retrieved on December 1, 2016.
- LEGO Star Wars Rogue One (Set: 75154 TIE Striker)
- LEGO Star Wars Rogue One (Set: 75171 Battle on Scarif)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First identified as coastal defender stormtrooper)
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Battlefront II: Inferno Squad
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ 3.0 3.1
- ↑ Star Wars 33: Rebels in the Wild
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Star Wars: Commander
- ↑ NEW Star Wars Launch Bay Rogue One Additions & Changes Update
- ↑ Ward, Amanda (October 6, 2016). HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE HASBRO PANEL AT NYCC!. makingstarwars.net. Retrieved on December 5, 2016.