Cobb Sonbepol was a Gotal who was present in Chalmun's Cantina in the Mos Eisley spaceport on the planet Tatooine in the year 0 BBY. When local hermit Obi-Wan Kenobi and moisture farmer Luke Skywalker entered the cantina in search of a pilot, Sonbepol sat at a table conversing with fellow patrons Momaw Nadon and Trinto Duaba. After Kenobi and Skywalker came into conflict with criminals Cornelius Evazan and Ponda Baba, Sonbepol left the table and crossed the cantina while the bounty hunter Greedo was confronting the smuggler Han Solo.
In the year 0 BBY, shortly before the Battle of Yavin, the Gotal Cobb Sonbepol sat in a booth right next to the door in Chalmun's Cantina in the Mos Eisley spaceport on the planet Tatooine, conversing with the Ithorian Momaw Nadon and the Stennes Shifter Trinto Duaba. While they spoke, local hermit Obi-Wan Kenobi and the young moisture farmer Luke Skywalker entered the cantina to look for a pilot with their droids, C-3PO and R2-D2.
The bartender Wuher turned the droids away, leaving Kenobi and Skywalker to approach the bar alone. At the counter, Skywalker caught the attention of criminals Ponda Baba and Cornelius Evazan. While Nadon discussed putting down roots on Tatooine with Duaba in the booth with Sonbepol, the confrontation quickly escalated and drew interest from the rest of the cantina, ending when the criminal duo tried to attack Skywalker but were incapacitated by Kenobi with his lightsaber.
After Imperial stormtroopers entered the cantina based on reports of the conflict, Sonbepol got up from the table where Nadon and Duaba sat. The Gotal crossed the cantina, walking past the booth in which the smuggler Han Solo and the bounty hunter Greedo were arguing, and into a booth where the Abyssin Myo and the Talz Muftak were seated.
Personality and traitsEdit
Behind the scenesEdit
Cobb Sonbepol was portrayed by an uncredited actor in the 1977 original trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. The character's costume in the film was made up of items from the costumes of several other Mos Eisley cantina patrons, including Trinto Duaba's robe, M'iiyoom Onith's shirt, and fellow Gotal Feltipern Trevagg's mask, the last of which had been crafted by costume designer Rick Baker.
Sonbepol also used a pair of claw props modified with fur from the film It's Alive, which Baker had also previously worked on. The cantina character Myo also used a separate pair of the same claw props but without the fur.
Having gone unnamed for forty years after its first appearance in A New Hope, the Sonbepol character was first identified in 2017. During the "Behind the Scenes of the Cantina" panel at Star Wars Celebration Orlando that year, Lucasfilm Story Group member Pablo Hidalgo used elements of attendee Sonja Beyer-Paulsen's name to create the name "Cobb Sonbepol."
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- (First identified as Cobb Sonbepol)
- Ultimate Star Wars (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 As depicted in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, Cobb Sonbepol is a member of the Gotal species, according to Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope that occur prior to the Battle of Yavin, which includes Cobb Sonbepol's time in Chalmun's Cantina, to 0 BBY.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 screenshot) (
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2
- ↑ "The Beastmaster!"—Star Wars Insider 126
- ↑ The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film