Cogitative Theory Units were part of a droid's programming. A submodule of the obedience-rational module, the Cogitative Theory Unit, in concert with the Obedience Module, interacted to produce logical and acceptable droid behavior. Cogitative Theory Units comprised a Memory Storage Unit, a Logic and Processing Unit, and an Initiative Unit. The system allowed a droid to think. Model E baby-sitting droids used Cogitative Theory Units which contained "personality" of the droids.
- Star Wars Droids: The Kalarba Adventures 5
- Star Wars Droids: Rebellion 3
- Star Wars Droids: Rebellion 4
- Star Wars Missions 3: Attack on Delrakkin
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (novel) (First appearance)