Cold weather assault stormtroopers, commonly known as snowtroopers or simply stormtroopers, were the elite stormtroopers of the Galactic Empire trained and equipped to operate in frigid environments such as the icy planet of Hoth.
Imperial cold weather assault stormtroopers were direct descendants of the clone cold assault troopers during the Clone Wars, who fought in frigid environments such as Orto Plutonia, Rhen Var, and Toola. Unlike their previous clone counterparts, snowtroopers were handpicked from worlds with frigid climates. The Empire thus ensured that the troopers were already accustomed to the cold climates they would be dropped into, a necessity for its elite corps.[source?]
When the Empire routed the enemy Rebel Alliance from its headquarters on Hoth three years following the Battle of Yavin, the elite Blizzard Force led by General Maximillian Veers was involved in the battle.
Snowtrooper armor was well insulated to protect against extreme cold, with a suit and heated breather mask powered by a battery pack that could last up to two standard weeks. For greater survivability, it also included ice boots, an insulated belt cape, polarized snow goggles, grappling hooks, ion flares, and a homing beacon.
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Cold
- Lost Stars
- Star Wars Battlefront
- Doctor Aphra 5: Book I, Part V
- Doctor Aphra 6: Book I, Part VI
- Battlefront: Twilight Company
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Uprising
- LEGO Star Wars Movie Short: Wampa Woes
- "15 Things You Never Knew About LEGO Star Wars!"—Star Wars Insider 150
- Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- The Art of Star Wars: Uprising (As "Snowtrooper")
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- (First identified as cold weather assault Stormtrooper)