Colonel was a rank that was common to most militaries throughout the galaxy. It was generally below the rank of general and above the ranks of major and commander. The rank itself was relatively high in the greater chain of command.
The rank of colonel was used in militaries during wartime at least as far back as before the outbreak of the Clone Wars. During that particular war, there were colonels on both sides of the conflict, the factions being the Confederacy of Independent Systems and the Grand Army of the Republic. No known clones with the Galactic Republic held the rank, as colonels were not generally known to participate in combat, instead serving as strategists and high commanders. One such tactician was Meebur Gascon, a Zilkin officer known for his skills as a commander. During the war, he commanded the droid unit D-Squad on a mission to steal a Separatist encryption module.
The rank was still in use by the time of the First Galactic Empire, held by imperial officers in the Imperial Army. It was also a non-martial rank as well, being a senior rank in the Imperial Security Bureau. One such ISB colonel was former Republic admiral Wullf Yularen.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Secret Weapons"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Sunny Day in the Void"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Missing in Action"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Point of No Return"
- Lords of the Sith
- Servants of the Empire: The Secret Academy
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Commander
- Battlefront: Twilight Company
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- "The Levers of Power"—The Rise of the Empire
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens