- "As long as there have been space fleets, there have been ships designed as command ships, specially armed and armored to serve as symbols of a civilization's power and prestige. Command by warlords or generals, they have often turned the tide of battles."
- ―Description of the history of command ships
Command ships or command cruisers were flagships used to command large fleets in battle.
Usually very large warships, they could command dozens of smaller warships and thousands of even smaller ships. The traditional command ships were usually constructed as the largest and most heavily armed and armored warships of a given fleet, meant to epitomize the wealth and resources available to a given civilization.
A command cruiser was a type of command ship. This designation was used for the Maelstrom, the flagship of the fleet of Galactic Republic warships led by Jedi General Darrus Jeht during the Clone Wars.
Other examples of large command ships were the Republic command ship of the Great Sith War, the Inexpugnable-class of the Mandalorian Wars, the Mandator II-class of the Clone Wars, the Executor-class and Eclipse-class of the Galactic Civil War, the Viscount-class and the Kor Chokk of the Yuuzhan Vong War.
Most classes of warship could be used for command purposes if they were equipped with the necessary facilities. Smaller Star Destroyers and similar warships in both the CIS, the Galactic Republic, the Galactic Empire, the New Republic, the Galactic Alliance and the New Galactic Empire were often used by higher officers as their respective command ships, most notably the Invisible Hand by General Grievous, the Devastator by Darth Vader, the Chimaera by Grand Admiral Thrawn, the Anakin Solo by Colonel Jacen Solo and the Imperious by Grand Admiral Morlish Veed.
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
- Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith Incredible Cross-Sections
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- Starships of the Galaxy, Saga Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (comics)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Dark Empire Sourcebook
- ↑ Living Force (RPG)
- ↑ Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War
- ↑ Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith Incredible Cross-Sections
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ Starships of the Galaxy, Saga Edition
- ↑ The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ Thrawn Trilogy
- ↑ Legacy of the Force
- ↑ Star Wars: Legacy